Fuji Film simulation bracketing

Snapandpop

Hi there,

I have a question about film sim bracketing - is it possible to see in the EVF film sim 1? When I want to bracket Monochrome, Classic Crome and Pro Neg H, it seems I always "see" Standard/Provia in the EVF instead of Monochrome...or am I missing some crucial setting?

Alternatively, is there a way to assign the film sims to the front dial?

Camera is X-T1 with firmware 4.0

Not sure if this is the right place to ask...feel free to move this mods.

I don't believe you can do either. You're stuck with STD color for the viewfinder in Bracket mode, and the front dial (wheel) gets reserved for shutter speed adjustments.

You should see whatever JPEG settings are active, so you can set either Monochrome, Classic Crome or Pro Neg H in the shooting menu.

Personally, I never use FS BKT, because this feature is JPEG-only, no RAW file recording. Instead, I simply produce different versions with different film simulations in the built-in RAW converter whenever it's convenient.

Thanks guys. KillRamsay appears to be right - all the settings of the Q menu are applied (e.g. Shadows +2), but not the film simulation, which seems to always revert back to Standard.

I generally shoot raw as well, but wanted to embrace jpg for a lightweight workflow with the ipad pro. But I also like the flexibility of raw...so hence my thinking of "covering my bases" with extra color picks when I mostly like to shoot b&w. (And yes, I could just do a b&w conversion afterwards, but I'm still training myself to "see b&w" and having the EVF in b&w helps immensely for pre-visualisation).

It's not a huge issue, just trying to fine tune workflow and make my life (aka post-processing) easier :)

Same here. I very rarely shoot RAW. As long as I can get it 95% right in-cam, I come out faster and lighter this way. That's a big "as long as," but I do well enough to not regret it.

If I got to redesign the Film Sim Bracketing function, I would allow you to select how many simulations per shot, from 2-4. I often don't want 3, I want two.

I shoot raw + jpg fine. I have custom profiles set for Classic, Acros, BW and Velvia, and set whatever is closest to the effect I am most likely to want. If the jpg is good, I have saved myself some time. If I want an alternate effect I reprocess the raw file in camera. If I want high contrast, clean, crisp b&w I find it is best achieved in post.

I've recently been shooting raw + jpeg in b/w so my viewfinder is free from color. If I want the final image in color, I generate a jpeg later in camera or do it in post if I feel the image warrants more work

yup I have custom settings too for the various film simulations..just sometimes I would like to just tweak a particular colour channel in b&w and obviously that's gone. Editing on the ipad is fun and efficient for most uses, but doesn't do raw, so I'm either stuck with doing b&w conversions on the ipad, or accepting the b&w shots limitations in editing. first world problems, really... ;)

I've recently been shooting raw + jpeg in b/w so my viewfinder is free from color. If I want the final image in color, I generate a jpeg later in camera or do it in post if I feel the image warrants more work

Yes, agreed - I've been using this way for some years, now.
Getting rid of the colour in the viewfinder helps (usually;)) with composition, IMO.

Yes, agreed - I've been using this way for some years, now.
Getting rid of the colour in the viewfinder helps (usually;)) with composition, IMO.

That's why even the Natural Live View mode is available is separate color, b+w and sepia incarnations. But since Fuji can't make it right, several people have already complained about this feature, so it appears to be a mixed bag.

In JPEG-only mode (which is forced as soon as FS BKT is set), the camera will switch from RAW/JPEG to Backup data mode and save the bracketed JPEGs on both cards.

Do you think that the processor in the Pro2 could handle writing raw to one card and film simulation bracket to the other? Asking for purposes of writing fuji to request it.

Fuji could write a single RAW file when JPEG BKT modes are on, but they chose not to implement this in all of their cameras. So we use the built-in RAW converter to add additional JPEG versions of a shot.

Back