Fuji Film Simulation bracketing

If I were getting paid to shoot, I would...

1. But a computer suitable for photo mgmt and editing
2. Buy extra digital storage
3. Pay for some creative suite, either adobe or Photo Ninja etc
4. Shoot important things in Raw + Fine, and use jpgs for instant social uploads, and RAWs for deliverables later

...and probably be happier than a pig in ...stuff. But I have none of the above, nor any time to utilize them. So the jpg stuff really matters to me, and I very rarely miss the other stuff.

Here's a question.

Does anyone use this feature, and has found a way to tailor the simulations when selected?

Here's what I mean. I usually shoot in "Acros" or occasionally "Chrome", jpg Fine+raw. Thus if I shoot a subject that cries out for colour, and I have used mono (or vice versa) I have a second bite of the cherry with the raw file.

In theory the film simulation bracketing should, for my purposes, be a god-send. But it isn't... I can't find a way to change the default jpg settings to my personal taste when in bracket mode (which is a drive mode) as I can with the raw converter in post. Ideally I'd like to set my film sims to my personal preferences and use those for bracketing, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that. It would potentially save me HUGE amounts of time in post.

Am I missing something...?

I ran into the same issue when I first received my X100F. I wanted all 3 film simulations to employee the same Nr, HL, ST and Sharp settings as I had set up for the still image using a particular film sim. After some experimentation I arrived at a protocol that allows me to use my own choice of jpeg parameters in bracketing mode.

I like the Classic Chrome and Acros with red filter as my 2 main film sim choices. I have set up each choice as a custom setting in my Q menu with the parameters set to my own sense of visual taste. The parameters are different for each film sim. This is how I enable the bracketing mode to reflect my parameter choices:

1. While in single image mode go to shooting setting, film bracket and set your choice of either black and white or color film sims for the bracket.
2. I then go to the Q menu and select either Classic Chrome or Acros with red filter as a custom setting for a still image shot.
3. I then go to Drive and select Film Sim Bracket.
4. All 3 bracketed images will now have the same jpeg parameters that you have set in the custom menu for a still shot. I have not discovered a means to set individual custom parameters so that each shot in the bracketed 3 has different settings but the same settings for each of the bracketed images match what I have set for taking a still image shot.
5. My experimentation so far would seem to indicate that the key to using your choice of jpeg parameters is how you set up your Q menu for a single shot. I lack the time and interest in going back to raw processing and have found the Fuji jpegs to be of sufficient quality to require minor post processing and still look decent to my untutored eye. I have been using these jpegs to provide digital imagery for a friend's web site and have received no complaints about the perceived quality of the images.

Harry

After a future firmware update, the X-T2 will support RAW files in concert with ISO, WB and FS BKT (the GFX already does so).

I hear you. Let's remember that raw is a means to an end, not an end in itself.

Sure, one can discard the original sheet music of a composition after doing a single recording of it. Or throw away the negative after one has received a print from the digilab. It's uncommon, though, and I wouldn't recommend it. Luckily, Fuji is reacting by opening more modes to RAW compatibility, at least in their more advanced models. This includes FS BKT.

Working with RAWs (using the internal and external converters) is becoming increasingly popular. I'm now doing twice as many RAW workshops as camera workshops, and they are all sold out 4 months in advance. This used to be different. However, more and more people want to unleash the capabilities of modern ISO-invariant cameras.

Whoever mentioned discarding????

It's an "and", not an "either/or". Nobody displays a raw file. As I said further up, it is a means to an end, not an end in itself. I always keep the raw files I have captured even if I don't use them immediately. They are there as backup and if I want to produce a new version.

A dictionary contains the works of Shakespeare but you wouldn't read it..

I ran into the same issue when I first received my X100F. I wanted all 3 film simulations to employee the same Nr, HL, ST and Sharp settings as I had set up for the still image using a particular film sim. After some experimentation I arrived at a protocol that allows me to use my own choice of jpeg parameters in bracketing mode.

I like the Classic Chrome and Acros with red filter as my 2 main film sim choices. I have set up each choice as a custom setting in my Q menu with the parameters set to my own sense of visual taste. The parameters are different for each film sim. This is how I enable the bracketing mode to reflect my parameter choices:

1. While in single image mode go to shooting setting, film bracket and set your choice of either black and white or color film sims for the bracket.
2. I then go to the Q menu and select either Classic Chrome or Acros with red filter as a custom setting for a still image shot.
3. I then go to Drive and select Film Sim Bracket.
4. All 3 bracketed images will now have the same jpeg parameters that you have set in the custom menu for a still shot. I have not discovered a means to set individual custom parameters so that each shot in the bracketed 3 has different settings but the same settings for each of the bracketed images match what I have set for taking a still image shot.
5. My experimentation so far would seem to indicate that the key to using your choice of jpeg parameters is how you set up your Q menu for a single shot. I lack the time and interest in going back to raw processing and have found the Fuji jpegs to be of sufficient quality to require minor post processing and still look decent to my untutored eye. I have been using these jpegs to provide digital imagery for a friend's web site and have received no complaints about the perceived quality of the images.

Harry

Harry, welcome, and thank you - that's a very good workaround!

Harry, welcome, and thank you - that's a very good workaround!

One of the many features that caused me to sell my X100T and buy the F was the Acros film sim. I am intrigued by the visual rendering of this digital black and white motif along with the updated functionality of the F compared to the T. At first I was confused as to why I could not shoot in a bracketed mode with my own settings but my workaround seems to work consistently for what I wanted to achieve.

I had read a few concerns pursuant to using a non 126S battery in the F. I called the Fuji service center and a technician informed me that the new battery was required for the XT-2 due to the heat that was generated by the employment of 4k video and the fact that the XT was a sealed body with no way for the heat to dissipate from the body. He went on to say that the X100F would work fine with the standard 126 batteries.

When my F first arrived I used a standard Fuji 126 battery while the included S battery was charging up in order to program the camera. I did feel noticeable heat in the area of the battery grip which caught me by surprise in as much as I had not felt that happen before in my XT-1 or XE-2 with either Fuji or Wasabi brand 126 batteries. The S battery costs $68 USD but given that I paid $1300 USD for the camera it struck me as a reasonable cost to ensure that the swollen battery issues that I have been reading about in other F cameras does not hopefully occur in mine.

The one thing that I definitely miss is having the Fuji optional grip for the F that I had on the T. I have large paws and find the additional grip surface to be quite useful for me. Have you heard when the updated auxiliary grip will be released by Fuji?

Back