Filosofical Friday: What Camera Could Stand Up to Our New Smart Phone Overlords?

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Name
Steve
OK, so none of you want to switch exclusively to smart phones. What camera could you live with and could also keep a manufacturer in business? Clearly dedicated camera sales are dropping so there are many decisions to be made. Do we need a compromise camera or a collection of different bodies? ILC or fixed lens? Obviously, anything could be kept in business if you could charge enough, e.g., Leica, but assume that you would buy this camera yourself. Lots of controls, simple controls, modular, wearable LCD screen in eyeglass frames, etc. Be as reasonable or unreasonable as you like, but remember this thing has to be made and sold. For example, I would give serious consideration to a dedicated, thicker, smart-phone like body that would easily fit in my pocket with a 1 inch sensor, and nicer lens, and a computational engine from hell. (I know, it's been tried and failed)

I don't quite understand the problem statement but it is Friday evening here after all.

The kind of camera I want (that wouldn't cost too much for me to buy) isn't anything like a smartphone or would appeal to smartphone audiences...

...or wait a minute. 💡 I sure could use a (breast) pocketable large-sensor compact. Ricoh GR3 or Fuji X100F or Panasonic LX100 with their flaws corrected and their firmwares/features tuned towards the street use and I'd love it.

I think if Olympus were to take the 4/3 sensor and stabilisation know-how, and place those in a series of waterproof, rugged compacts with:
- evf
- flash
- decent controls
- 9mm, 14mm, 20mm and 40mm f/1.8 lenses,
- hand held pixel shift for those high resolution geeks
- top hinged rotating screen (can face up or down without sticking out from the body, and face forward for vloggers)
- wifi, bluetooth and a waterproof usb-c port so that you never have to open the camera,

That series could sell like hot cakes, even at a price of 1000 to 1200 euros. I genuinely believe they could keep the body size roughly like a Panasonic GX9 (but add a better grip), and the lens protrusion would be no more than 2 inches for the 9mm and 40mm, and about 1 inch for the 14 and the 20, since the lens can be brought right up to the sensor, like the X100 and RX1 series.

I don't quite understand the problem statement but it is Friday evening here after all.

The kind of camera I want (that wouldn't cost too much for me to buy) isn't anything like a smartphone or would appeal to smartphone audiences...

...or wait a minute. 💡 I sure could use a (breast) pocketable large-sensor compact. Ricoh GR3 or Fuji X100F or Panasonic LX100 with their flaws corrected and their firmwares/features tuned towards the street use and I'd love it.
I would like a pocketable version of the Fuji.

Over time I’ve come appreciate the meta-ergonomic advantage of having the phone camera in my pocket. Panasonic made that failed attempt at a camera that had phone features, the CM1. I want something like that but with a 35 mme lens and the IQ of my XE3.

Last edited:
This conversation came from one we had a week ago about if anyone would switch solely to a smart phone for their only camera. Given the advances in smart phone cameras and computational photography. No one said they would go the smart phone only route.

Ah, a question that has bounced around in my head for years. My fantasy camera would be small (but not pocketable), weather sealed, FF with a single 35mm f/2 lens, and have absolute minimal controls: aperture, ISO, SS, exposure comp. Although I do like wider lenses, my only camera for around 20 years before I went digital was a Praktica SLR and 50mm f/2.8 lens my parents bought me when I was 18. I took a lot of images with that camera. Today's cameras are very capable, but I probably don't use 90% of their functions.

Over time I’ve come appreciate the meta-ergonomic advantage of having the phone camera in my pocket. Panasonic made that failed attempt at a camera that had phone features, the CM1. I want something like that but with a 35 mme lens and the IQ of my XE3.

The CM1's downfall was it's processing pipeline being too slow and a sub-par screen - combined with a (back then) high price...

A CM2 with the same camera and updated phone components/software might actually be a winner... (not necessarily a winner in sales though)

Ah, a question that has bounced around in my head for years. My fantasy camera would be small (but not pocketable), weather sealed, FF with a single 35mm f/2 lens, and have absolute minimal controls: aperture, ISO, SS, exposure comp. Although I do like wider lenses, my only camera for around 20 years before I went digital was a Praktica SLR and 50mm f/2.8 lens my parents bought me when I was 18. I took a lot of images with that camera. Today's cameras are very capable, but I probably don't use 90% of their functions.
The forthcoming Leica SL2 with 35mm f2 nearly fits this perfectly. It's probably a bit larger than you have in mind. And tons more expensive. The controls on it look amazing to work with.

This is almost exactly what I would want, except I would add that it can't be associated in any way with the word "Leica". 🤑

Back