Fuji Filters and filter mount.

Vali

Rookie
In my search for accesories for my (hopefully) future X20 I think I will need a couple of filters plus a filter mount. Since the X10 shares the same body, what kind of mount should I get? I would like something that don't get in the way of the VF.

I was thinking in a polarized and a NG filter. Can you suggest me some reasonable priced ones?

The X10/X20 is a rangefinder-styled camera; as such, you're always going to see some lens in the VF in the lower end of the zoom range. This is just the nature of the beast. Those of us who've used rangefinders just 'get used to it'. This is why Fujifilm copied the 'slotted' lens hood style for the X's: It helps you see thru it.

You can use the Fuji or the aftermarket copies which adapts the native 40mm front thread up to a 52mm filter size. Everyone makes filters in 52mm, so whether you prefer Hoya or Tiffen or B+W, whoever, you're in business.

With any of those adpaters, the problem some of us have run across is they are vented as well, so you can wind up with dust on the inside of the filter or the lens' front element. This requires removing it usually to clear this out, and since the lens hood screws into a slightly bigger set of threads around that, you have to take the whole thing apart to do this.

That got old for me quick. So I purchased a Marumi Digital Clear in 40mm from 2Filter.com (No, I have no relationship with them, they are one of the very few places that offer these). It screws directly into the lens, and then the adaptor/lens hood screws into that, and I much prefer that arrangement. Marumi also makes a 40mm polarizer, but no ND's I'm afraid. The Marumis are very reasonably priced, and the quality seems fine, and 2Filter is great to deal with in my experience.

Thanks for the advice. Those 40 mm Marumi are what I am asking for. I saw the adaptor form 40 to 52mm and they are too big. Are those Fuji threads "special" or any 40 mm filter can be used?

Now I need to find a seller that can ship 40mm filters here :(

EBC Wilson said:
That got old for me quick. So I purchased a Marumi Digital Clear in 40mm from 2Filter.com (No, I have no relationship with them, they are one of the very few places that offer these). It screws directly into the lens, and then the adaptor/lens hood screws into that, and I much prefer that arrangement. Marumi also makes a 40mm polarizer, but no ND's I'm afraid. The Marumis are very reasonably priced, and the quality seems fine, and 2Filter is great to deal with in my experience.[/QUOTE]

If you use the lens hood on top of the Marumi filter is there any vignetting?

Thanks for the advice. Those 40 mm Marumi are what I am asking for. I saw the adaptor form 40 to 52mm and they are too big. Are those Fuji threads "special" or any 40 mm filter can be used?

Now I need to find a seller that can ship 40mm filters here :(

I had the Marumi 40mm on my X10, which I sold in anticipation of the X20. The filter was good but I had a stack of 46mm B+W filters, including a UV, which I really preferred to use and decided to try a Heavystar 40-46mm step-up ring (avail on Amazon or eBay) and that really is a STELLAR set-up. The ring fits perfectly on the lens and I simply attach the 46mm filter of my choice on that...adds very little depth to the overall package but you will likely want to get a 46mm center-pinch lens cap (got 3 for $1 each) as the stock metal cap will fall off...besides as nice as that fuji cap is, its not slim, so slipping it in your pocket is a pain and losing it would have been a bummer. I keep a B+W IR, ND and just ordered a CP 46mm filter and keep them stacked with a cheap metal screw on case so I can keep all my filters in my pocket, along with a couple extra batteries...the epitome of traveling light!

Also, there are many advocates of not using filters due to degradation and I am somewhat in that camp...as such I really do believe the B+W filters are some of the best on the market and keeps any degradation to a minimum. Lastly, the 46mm circumference is EXACTLY the same size as the lens barrel, making the whole package look ultra sleek!

I am not sure about using filters myself and have none right now, but since I want to take a lot of landscapes this summer (will be in the mountains about a week), a UV filter can be a good adition to get better skies. Then I read about the max shutter speed is 1/1000, so a low NG filter can be useful too...

Does that step-up ring obstruct the viewfinder in a noticeable way? I ditched the 52mm one because I saw an image from the viewfinder somewhere and it really got in the way (plus the dust thing).

Does that step-up ring obstruct the viewfinder in a noticeable way? I ditched the 52mm one because I saw an image from the viewfinder somewhere and it really got in the way (plus the dust thing).

No more than the lens already obstructs...another great reason to check out the step-up ring...

Jimbo, I did not see your question, pardon me for not replying sooner.

No. With the Fuji hood / adaptor screwed into the Marumi, I've seen no vignetting.

Back