Final retirement?

Steve Noel

In Memorium
Final retirement?

I find myself wondering why I keep a camera (OMD EM-5). Mostly a lifetime of use I suppose, from age 12-13, to 74. Couple years ago I gave it away. couldn't stand it, and bought another one, same model. Decided to really get back into it. Didn't last. The passion just isn't there anymore. I took a pic of my wood work space today, on the phone. Deleted it. My passion has always been the outdoors/nature, and still is. I just rather soak it in not make pictures. These days, it's mostly the back porch, early and late.
So, I'll drop by occasionally, to see what you all are up to, don't expect to post much, if anything. Keep it up and pass it on.

Final retirement?

I find myself wondering why I keep a camera (OMD EM-5). Mostly a lifetime of use I suppose, from age 12-13, to 74. Couple years ago I gave it away. couldn't stand it, and bought another one, same model. Decided to really get back into it. Didn't last. The passion just isn't there anymore. I took a pic of my wood work space today, on the phone. Deleted it. My passion has always been the outdoors/nature, and still is. I just rather soak it in not make pictures. These days, it's mostly the back porch, early and late.
So, I'll drop by occasionally, to see what you all are up to, don't expect to post much, if anything. Keep it up and pass it on.
Do you think current world events has a large part in this? Whilst I am still taking pictures and engaging a 'buisness as usual' approach, the reality is I'm doing it less and have been for some time and the inspiration is also less.

I find that since I got some good binoculars, I have reduced the number of photos I take on a walk, and often just take in the beauty and the feeling of being part of nature. It's one of the reasons I'm saving up for a used X-Pro3; viewing the world through glass is just a more organic experience than viewing it through a screen. So I fully get you on soaking it in without the process of photography competing for your attention.

Enjoy, Steve, and hope to see you around here from time to time. Also thanks for all the photos you shared with us over the years :)

Since I'm retired I'm enjoying my daily photo walks. I always have either the E-M5 or the LX100.2 with me. I love these two lightweights. I must say that I'm taking in the beauties and wonders of nature around me with much more awareness. And I have all the time to enjoy them *and* capture them. When I was still working most of the photography was reduced to vacation.

An interesting side-effect: I've never been addressed by so many people. When I'm in one of those typical photographer's contorsions or on ground level people stop and ask me what exactly it is that I take a photo of. And already I'm talking away for ten to fifteen minutes. Most of those people would have just passed me by with a friendly hello, but watching me taking pics arouses their interest. I have made quite fascinating acquaintances ... even a young pilgrim (in his early twenties) on the way to Santiago de Compostela with a good four months of walking ahead of him.

I knew that taking dogs for a walk is good for socializing. But it never occured to me that cameras are as good, provided you don't stick them in people's faces without asking them for permission.

I completely understand the OP's view.
Retirement and especially the restrictions of the last year have made me wonder why I bother carrying a camera when my smart phone can do most things.

I'm so bored walking the same COVID walks month after month ; only the conversation keeps me interested. I'm not a nature lover.
I feel nerdy if I bring a camera on a walk knowing that my companions rarely want to stop for a photo opportunity.
Photography can be quite a solitary experience unless at a specific event where it is expected.

However , I still enjoy processing images and the creative aspects still appeal.
That's why I couldn't resist buying a Sony RX100vi back in April...something in my pocket for the future when International Travel is easier.

I don't think that traditional Photography as a hobby will die while there are families to record but our kind of camerawork seems less relevant as I grow older.

Last edited:
I may be older than all of you and am very concerned not to loose my interests in music, literature and life in general.
No matter what health and age tells me.

With covid spreading again there is not much escape from the neighborhood and short walks around, but always with a theme in mind to work on.
In her life Jane Austen never got far away from home and I think that can be a consolation, because her novels did not suffer from this restriction.

Up to now the current situation suits me perfectly well. The other day I received the new concert schedule from Sendesaal Bremen and this means I am booked for 53(yes)concerts. As far as I can judge I am not going to miss a single one and disappoint lots of people.

To put experience and ideas into photoimages will most probably keep me alive for the foreseeable future.

I greatly appreciate everyone's response/interest, and I will most likely have short spurts of photo interest. But, as a life-long hobby, it has lost it's drive. I'm glad for the years of joy it brought to me and my family, (even though they were sometimes a bit impatient with my constant stopping by the road/path to just take another picture)! I have thousands of photos, slides and digital images, that I never look at. Maybe the kids/grandkids/great grandkids will want them some day.

How do you feel about curation of that large collection of photos? I think most of us probably end up with many more images than we could realistically wrangle, but maybe there's a reason to go through and make a few photo books so that, if nothing else, there's an easy entry point to your collection.

How do you feel about curation of that large collection of photos? I think most of us probably end up with many more images than we could realistically wrangle, but maybe there's a reason to go through and make a few photo books so that, if nothing else, there's an easy entry point to your collection.
I think I’m past the point of editing/curating all my images. I can still make photo books, however, which is a very good idea. We have been making photo books of my grandchildren as gifts for the generation before us. It can be done surprisingly easily.

Not lousy, but not great either. I took um' . Somebody else will have the honor/chore, of curating. I loved the taking of them, but have never enjoyed sorting or editing. The only future prep, I have done, is make folders of each year, with the file name beginning with the year. With a few special events etc., in stacked folders, again with the file name beginning with the year.
To my large extended family I say, "Ya'll have fun now, ya hear?:LOL:

This is Steve Noel's daughter. I thought I'd add a note on his last thread. On February 27th, Dad finally retired for good. His heart was tired and he wanted to go Home to heaven. We now have the great honor (and huge task) of curating his many photos. Thank you all for giving him such enjoyment as he shared his photos with you and enjoyed yours.

This is Steve Noel's daughter. I thought I'd add a note on his last thread. On February 27th, Dad finally retired for good. His heart was tired and he wanted to go Home to heaven. We now have the great honor (and huge task) of curating his many photos. Thank you all for giving him such enjoyment as he shared his photos with you and enjoyed yours.
Many thanks for letting us know @bysearching and commiserations from everyone here of course. You may well find solace and dare I say on occasion, joy and laughter throughout the huge task of curating the photos. You don't have to be a stranger here either. All the best.

Dear Myra, thank you so much for letting us know. My heartfelt condolences as well as my respect to you and all of your family. May he rest in peace.

M.

I appreciate you stopping in and providing this sad update, Myra. My wife lost her father last month as well, so we've been in a similar space. It sounds like Steve was at peace at the end, which gives some solace.

I know the task of going through your father's things (including his photos) can feel overwhelming. But if you do dig into his archives and find some gems, I'm sure there are many of us here who would appreciate seeing Steve's photos one more time.

- K

Back