Finally did it - M43 in, Fuji out...

I didn`t know you went back to the DSLR route. Or isn`t that black big thing next to the E-Pm2 one? Kidding aside, I had the opportunity to hold and try an Em-1 with he 12-40mm zoom in the flesh yesterday. A truly impressive tool. The EVF, responsiveness, AF speed and build quality are quite something.
You could almost think the EM1 was the size of a DSLR except when you see it next to a tiny little EPM2 and realize how much larger it isn't! I couldn't get by without something wider than those two lenses, but I get your point - the 75 is one of my favorite lenses too - man, how I wish I'd had something like that when MY kids were little! I could almost sub the 12mm for the 17 you have on the EPM2 and be good with that arrangement too, but maybe on the GX7 instead for its controls, flip up screen, and silent mode... But the RX1 and Nikon A are guilty pleasures I just enjoy using so much that I'd feel like I was really losing something to do without either if them... A guy can only pare down SO far!

-Ray

So who is going to get these new lenses first:) I like the smaller Oly 1.8 line, but I like the aperture ctrl on my lenses... Too bad Sony doesn't have that except on RX1...

d8623fb3-7e47-4a9a-b4ab-c9740e71c2e1_zps20ab48f8.jpg

http://www.smallcamerabigpicture.com/a-lumix-ppe-report/

I've never loved the Panasonic 14mm pancake and I'm still unsure about the Olympus 17mm so the 15mm has my attention, however I'm none too pleased that Panasonic seems to be following Olympus' lead by replacing the very effective bayonet style hood mount with what is likely to be some kind of crappy, fiddly screw arrangement. In the Four Thirds days, Olympus never supported the aperture ring found on Panasonic Leica lenses so it remains to be seen whether the same will be true in Micro Four Thirds.

I like the aperture rings too, but I'm fine without them - the function is still there whether its on the ring or not. But what I REALLY like is the MF clutch ring with the distance scale on the lens, partially because of how quick and easy it is to use and largely because it's the ONLY way to get a distance scale with m43. Some systems give you an electronic distance scale which is fully workable if it has enough detail. But m43 doesn't offer any way of setting distance other than the clutch rings on the 12 and 17 and now 12-40.

-Ray

So who is going to get these new lenses first:) I like the smaller Oly 1.8 line, but I like the aperture ctrl on my lenses... Too bad Sony doesn't have that except on RX1...

d8623fb3-7e47-4a9a-b4ab-c9740e71c2e1_zps20ab48f8.jpg

http://www.smallcamerabigpicture.com/a-lumix-ppe-report/

Serhan... of those three I only have the, wonderful, 25. The 42.5 and the 15 are VERY alluring! If the 15 surpasses the performance of the 17/1.8, I will likely sell both my 17 and Pany 14 in favor of the 15.

I'm very interested in the Summilux 15/1.7, and almost as interested in the Nocticron.

I was on the verge of buying the Voigtlander 42.5/0.95 when they announced the Nocticron, and it made me waver for a moment. But then I realized that I still needed a very fast portrait prime, and who knew when the Nocticron would come out? Since then, I bought the Voigtlander and the huge aperture saved me in a number of very low light situations. Having said that, manual focus can be tricky, especially if you're trying to refocus quickly. Having experience with the Voigtlander shows me that the Nocticron would be a very useful lens for run and gun in low light situations.

My goodness Bob! It's by never venturing anywhere near even THINKING about that kind of craziness that allows me to buy the occasional camera. I'm currently driving a six year old version of the cheapest car Honda sells in the US and our Condo is paid off. Hence, mirrorless cameras. That's a serious piece of machinery right there! I had a '92 Sentra SE-R, sort of the spiritual great uncle, a distant relation to the 240-300Z(X). That's as far into sports cars as I ever managed...

Enjoy that thing, but be careful...

-Ray

When I was younger I used to drive sport cars, with the kids and work I went through a series of SUVs, while the wife drove some sport sedan or another. When the kids were done with school and I was helping my youngest test drive a VW GTI, the bug came back. I bought a fun hot hatch, had some fun, did some mods, trade that when in a "teenage rally car", had some much with the STI, that I had to get this GTR before I was too old to enjoy what it is like to drive a super car.Funny thing to me is that my wife and I now balance out our carbon footprint completely I drive this and she has a Prius v. Anyway sorry for going way off topic but this is why I am not getting any of the new Olympus, Sony or the RX1, I am happy with my Fuji and GTR.

I believe I'd be happy with any camera + GTR combo!!

My "fun" car was the original Audi TT. I had it for four years before I went back to more "practical" vehicles. It was definitely the most fun I ever hand behind a wheel. I've been trying to find a low mileage one without any success. :(

Considering the purchase of the 42.5/0.95 for use on the E-M1 and found your comment concerning refocusing quickly interesting.

While the E-M1 has focus peaking, I've never used it while shooting in the streets. Do you believe the lens will be effective shooting in a relatively fast moving urban environment? Do you rely upon zone focusing?

Any insights you may be able to provide will be appreciated.

Back