Finally got a bad one from B&H

Bobby T

Out Of Nowhere
I've bought used items from B&H for years. Normally my experience has been that they rate their used gear conservatively. And it is always better than described. The X-Pro2 I picked up from them was listed as 8+. When I got it this morning, the sd cards would not lock into place in slot 1. The iso wheel was hard to turn. The lock button on the shutter speed dial was broken, and the shutter speed dial wouldn't turn. I was surprised the camera was like that with the rating it had. I have to give B&H customer service credit. They apologized and immediately authorized a return/refund with a prepaid FedEx label.

They are very good, I find. I've only ever bought new from them, but here I am in Australia, and the items I would buy from them get to me faster than anything I have ever ordered online from an Aussie store. Pity the Aussie dollar is in such a woeful state... have not been able to buy anything from there since 2016

And now I'm on the fence. B&H has an X-E3 in +8 condition for $448. This is the only time I've had an issue with something used from them. But then I think if the same people rated this X-E3 as the Pro2, what condition is it really in.

You should go for it.....before I do. With the volume of used gear they handle, I think they just rate stuff on visual condition, which usually tells 95% of the camera's story. And if something doesn't work right, they'll pay you to ship it back. The probably rightly surmise that to pay someone to put every used camera through it's paces when such a small percentage will have something wrong with them (at least when they look like an 8) just doesn't make sense. It's cheaper to pay for a couple returns out of one hundred than to pay someone to make sure every function of those hundred cameras work.

I'm comfortable with their customer service.

@AndyH44 That is an excellent point, sir.

Racing @Luke to be the first one to order it at 9pm est tonight.

I think you'll be very pleased. I say go for it. But if that one is gone, they have a black one in condition 10 for $508 - still a $91 savings over buying new. And the ones (in both colors) in condition 9 are only $478. That's a $120 savings over buying new. For only $30 more than the one you're eyeing, I'd be tempted to go with one of those.

@Biro I decided to meet in the middle with one of condition 9 bodies. That will appease the bargain hunter part of my brain. My other X-T2 will go up for sale after my shoot tomorrow.

Back