Canon FINALLY got a chance to shoot a little with the EOS-M

wt21

Hall of Famer
Just testing around the yard.

The controls are very surprisingly easy to use. The LCD touch screen with just about everything you need. The shutter sound is fabulous. The camera has a nice heft and feel. I don't mind the "soap bar" approach. I always use a wrist strap.

Yes, it's a little slow, but it's funny how the Fuji and some others get kudos for helping one "slow down" and "think through the shot" but not so much the M ;)

I did some inside high ISO testing. The sensor output is sub-OMD, but at low ISO, it's pretty nice. The thing that makes this camera nice is the 22mm lens and the controls are better than I thought.

ALL FOR $300!!!

The lens has a "richness" to it.
View attachment 73521

Smooooth bokeh
9468969024_d1cec78862_c.jpg

like those bokeh balls! (reminds me of a CV40/1.4 I once had). I love fun bokeh :)
9466188703_3c7152675d_c.jpg

Close focus (.15m)
9468971566_56b8042db3_c.jpg

stupid art filter tricks. Applied easily in camera after taking the pic (sorry -- dumb pic)
View attachment 73525

After effects applied in LR.
9466209971_72e7fb2fd4_c.jpg

Well I think they look damn good!! What excellent value for money!! Let's face it if you stripped the exif data you could say it was something far better and no one would know which makes the whole IQ this and that debate a bit of a joke!

Well done you!(y)

lol. No! EPL5 rocks! If someone sells you an EPL5 they are doing you a FAVOR! :D

I do miss the tilty LCD. EPL5 is also a faster camera. Having shot m43 since 2009, I just wanted to make a break and try something else. Clean slate.

I'm having fun right now, yes -- shiny toy. New things to discover. But I don't know that I'd recommend the M over an EPL5. Depends on what you are looking for I guess. I do think, though, that the 22/2 is better than the 17/1.8 and maybe even the 20/1.7. I really like this lens.

LOL! I'm finding the EPL5 to be a little too small for my hands! I might need to use the larger grip. I'm also spoiled by all the dials and buttons on the OMD. So I find the EPL5 more difficult to use from an operational standpoint.

Your photos do bring life to the EOS-M, for sure! Well done.

As for the 17/1.8 (my current favorite m4/3 lens), I do wish that it was a bit more pancake-like.

I don't think the EOS-M would be any better than the EPL5 in terms of size. They're about the same size functionally.

I have both the PL5 and the M and they are very close image-wise. The PL5 is faster, especially the AF. The M's Raw files seem to have more noise but they clean up really well in PS. Maybe Canon gets a bit more attention from Adobe than Olympus. I leave the 45 on the PL5 and the 22 on the M and just grab the appropriate body. ILCs or not, it's the "bag of compacts" approach.

I like the image quality of the EOS M, but its controls and AF speed — not so much.

Inclusion of the external mic socket is a nice touch. Combined with Magic Lantern you get a VERY capable small video machine. If you're interested in video, that is.

I suspect any NEX is a better second camera for a Canon shooter than EOS M. NEXes have better sensors and you can use one of so-called "smart" adapters to shoot NEX with your Canon lenses with electronic aperture control and even IS.

So I'm one of the few that actually notices the DOF differences between MFT & APS-C (Hence why I have a NEX - although my primary system is still MFT). But NEX is missing a native fast pancake prime like the Canon 22m ƒ2.0 :)

So I'm one of the few that actually notices the DOF differences between MFT & APS-C (Hence why I have a NEX - although my primary system is still MFT). But NEX is missing a native fast pancake prime like the Canon 22m ƒ2.0 :)

IMO, OT and also possibly :026:

Will anyone ever let "NEX vs. m43" topic DIE???

I definitely notice it, although in most cases MFT lenses are faster than comparable Sony NEX lenses and that offsets the difference in DOF introduced by the larger sensor. Samsung NX, on the other hand... :118:

Back