Ricoh Finally got a GRD III

I've only owned the CX200, but I completely agree about the fit & finish of all of their cameras. I have a Samsung TL500 that feels as well built, but the placement of buttons and general.... easiness of the GRDs is phenomenal. If I ever have a few hundo burning a hole in my wallet, I'd love to pick up a GRD III.

In camera square format (maybe something for a thread of its own?

5619367453_87ab935a26_b.jpg

Will the images look distorted to me ... I think you are probably linking using the HTML code from FLickr ... am I right ?

A mother's love in action! Great series, Will, but I do really like that first one a great deal - seeing that pigeon there sitting there looking out at the water (or dozing) and the mother with her darling flock...and that photographer - and his two extra shadow heads..., well I think it is a great offbeat image.(y)

Thanks Wylie, that is my compositional image which I took time and care over so I'm glad you appreciate it. The others were just opportunistic paparazzi shots!

phd they are meant to be square format if that is what you are seeing then all is well.

no they look "stretched" vertically ... but it may be a browser artifact ... still be interested to know what you pasted in?

I only have a 15" screen MacBook pro so I have to scroll down a bit to see the complete photo via this site. Now I'm going to start becoming obsessed with perpendicular lines...not being so.:tongue: I do find that since I wear progressive lenses that I cannot sit too close...or sometimes the lines do seem to be thrown off, but I really don't notice this sort of thing generally. They look fine to me, too.

Also, I always like to click on people's photos so that I can see them in more detail on Flickr, etc.

I use both the GRD3 and the LX5, and IMHO, the GRD3 blows the LX5 out of the water, to the point that the only time I use the LX5 is when I need a longer focal length. I carry both in my bag, but the GRD3 is my compact of choice. There's a multitude of reasons for this:

Image quality: the Ricoh seems much sharper than the LX5, although the LX5 is still excellent
High ISO: The GRD3 is good all the way up to 1600 (the highest setting). I find that anything above 800 on the LX5 needs more aggressive NR in post
Controls: The menus on the GRD, on the rare occasion that I need to go into them, seem better laid-out. Plus, the GRD has front and back control wheels, much like my DSLR. The buttons are easier to locate and press than the LX5 as well. And the mode dial has a lock on it.
Ergonomics: The GRD grip is what makes it feel like an extension of your hand. It really is that good. The LX5, in comparison, feels a bit awkward.
The GRD3 has no lens cap to worry about.
Snap Focus: This feature by itself makes the GDR3 a winner over the LX5. Set your snap focusing distance, and your done. You can snap away without waiting for AF.

Don't get me wrong: both are great cameras, which is why I carry both. But if I had to give one up, I'd keep the Ricoh every time. It's absolutely amazing!

Back