finally joined

Dan Vang

Rookie
Hi all

Been creeping on here for several weeks now. Decided to finally join.

Current Canon 40D user, and on the verge of my first non-Canon.

Right now, really leaning Sigma DP-1 Merrill or Sony RX1, though I'm leaning DP1M mainly for landscape uses.

Lots of great info and pics here, looking forward to contributing!

Hi all

Been creeping on here for several weeks now. Decided to finally join.

Current Canon 40D user, and on the verge of my first non-Canon.

Right now, really leaning Sigma DP-1 Merrill or Sony RX1, though I'm leaning DP1M mainly for landscape uses.

Lots of great info and pics here, looking forward to contributing!

Welcome aboard!

those camera are pretty wildly different price points. If you are leaning towards the Sigma anyways, I'd get it....if you like it, you can nearly get both of the other Sigmas and have all 3 for around the same price as the RX1.

Thanks Luke.

At first I was really gunning for the RX1, but after thinking more. I favor landscape photography more. So the Sigma may be a better choice, and 28mm of the DP1 I tend to favor more than the 35mm of the RX1. But perhaps the biggest lure, is the Foveon sensor, and its uniqueness. Looking between Flickr images between the two cameras, I can't help but feel that the Sigma sensor just attracts me to it more. No doubt the RX1 is sexy, but it doesn't feel as alive as the DPxM's. Plus, rumors abound of a new Sony FF or two even, though the price will likely be around the RX1 as well.

But as prices drop on the RX1, I may do that later on for its more versatile nature. Wish I could snag one at a deal like you did.

Hi Dan, I think you're really going to like the Merrill DP1 (that must be the wider angle of the three, right?). It has just an amazing clarity and detail in the files it produces.

My guess is that to get the most from it you'll want to use a tripod (or at very least a monopod). There's no image stabilization - although for absolute sharpest imaging, you'd turn off any stabilization anyway and use a tripod. If you're shooting landscapes the DP1's really slow performance shouldn't be an issue. Get at least two extra batteries is what I read!

Welcome Dan. If you shoot in good light and are mostly focussed on landscapes the DP1M is an amazing little camera (and if you don't mind the extra processing step required). I have the RX1 and had a DP1M loaner for a couple of months, one of which was spent on the Amalfi Coast, where I did more landscape shooting than I've probably ever done. I end up liking the RX1 images more in the mid-size prints I do. The Sigma files are more fun to open up at 100% on the computer and just marvel at the detail (seeing the mustache on a guy in a truck bed a couple of blocks away), but in prints I liked the colors and the sort of "glow" (for lack of a better term) of the Sony. I didn't buy the DP1M, but if I was primarily a landscape shooter, I probably would have. Both amazing cameras - you can't go wrong. One detail worth knowing - it seems the RX1 isn't a true 35mm - I think its more like 31-33 mm somewhere. Its notably wider than the Fuji X100 or the Zeiss 24mm on the Nex bodies. I'm more partial to 28 than 35 myself but I really warmed up to the RX1 and I think the wider than advertised field of view probably has something to do with that...

-Ray

Welcome Dan! I'm sure you'll be happy with either and we have knowledgeable users of both cameras on this forum should you have any questions. Looking forward to your photos.

Back