Finding different cameras for close vs. telephoto shooting

wt21

Hall of Famer
I have (at least) two types of shooting. Up-close-&-personal and telephoto (I mainly shoot people -- family, friends, civic events). I'm finding that I want 2 very distinct cameras.

For up-close, I want about 50mm focal length. Sometimes 28. A silent camera (or as quiet as I can get it) and much more framing with the LCD -- and especially a tilt up LCD (ala NEX or OMD). I think it's likely to do with the angle I want to take. Up close, I look to shoot lower. Waist level or down on the floor with children. I find I don't like the VF that much for up close. It seems impersonal, is harder to get into position, and gets people out of their candid mode and into pose mode. CDAF is fine, as the focus target is plenty close, and I prefer the higher accuracy of CDAF.

For distance though, with a telephoto, I'm finding I much prefer a VF -- Optical or electronic (though electronic is preferred). I also then don't care what the shutter mechanism sounds like, and actually prefer pdaf as the distance subjects are likely moving! With the telephoto, shooting from eye-level is fine, as the angle to the distant object becomes less important, and I need the stability of bringing the camera to the eye.

I was wondering if anyone else has found they have needs that separate up-close from telephoto shooting. If so, are you adapting the same camera for both situations, or are you using 2 different cameras. Which are you using? (I'm currently using a 5D for telephoto and portrait and a NEX 5n for the upclose work, but the shutter sound is very distracting on the 5n!)

You have chosen my preferred telephoto camera as one of your up-close cameras....LOL. Certainly some cameras may may not be great choices for tele work, but I feel like ANY camera can be used for close-up work....but the shooters style may dictate otherwise.

You are using NEX for telephoto? (I edited my original post, as I thought it was initially confusing, so I'm just clarifying which you are using).

No, the OMD. The NEX strikes me as a poor choice for telephoto with little to nothing to hold on to..... I also prefer an EVF for tele work.....just another point of contact to steady the camera.....so half the NEXes are ruled out.

Ah, yes. The OMD would be good for telephoto. I just sold the rest of my m43 gear, though, so I don't currently shoot with the OMD.

I agree -- I wouldn't use NEX for telephoto. Even with the built-in EVFs, the range-finder/left side VF is not as inherently stable, and besides the weak AF would rule them out.

I absolutely prefer different cameras for different things, but not for close up vs Tele.

When there's a lot going on, like when I have a bride getting ready, I absolutely prefer a rangefinder. With that I can see outside the frame to anticipate what's going to happen and I am not viewing the scene at the lenses minimum aperture so I can see everything that's happening. Mostly I'm using lenses between 35 and 90mm and I'm in close. The camera never has to leave my eye.

If I'm macro I'll almost demand that I use live view (over and above any type of viewfinder). It's just far more comfortable than squinting and bending to meet a viewfinder always awkward position. A tilting LCD is heaven.

For longer than 200mm I prefer an evf. I like the additional stability and I like the minimum DOF view I get as I often shoot wide open with teles. I also use the evf as my preferred way of reviewing images, especially outdoors.

I also like different sized cameras for different lenses. I now I'm carrying an EM5 with 12-35 on one shoulderad an a77 with 70-200 on the other at weddings and really liking it. I'm actually thinking of not getting the 35-100 for the Olympus ( yeah, right..... like that will ever happen!!!). And I hate having a flash on a Leica but I'm fine with it on the Sony.

Gordon

Back