Fireworks in an Old New England Mill Town

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Name
Steve
As advertised, I was in my home town of Fall River, Massachusetts, last week. It's an old mill town best known for it's unusual demographics (a large Portuguese population) and the famous Lizzie Borden murder case in the last 19th century. Half the town sits on a hillside that goes down to a large river that is just turning into a bay onto the Atlantic. They setoff the fireworks on a barge slightly off shore. To my chagrin, I couldn't figure out where the bulb setting was on the X-S10, so I was using 1/20 to 2 sec exposure times.

A shot of my increasingly darkening setting:
fw8.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Early entertainment and the smoke were provided by locals with some impressive albeit amateur displays.

fw4.jpg

The main display was visible over an apartment building known as Point Gloria. If you look along the horizon, you can see other flashes, which are the firework displays in 6-7 other towns visible from the hilltop where I was sitting.

fireworks1.jpg

fw5.jpg

fw2.jpg

fw6.jpg

I caught this one just right, and it looks like some Lovecraftian fire monster attacking the building.
fw3.jpg

Many folks donate trees to the park as memorials for loved ones, which they sometimes decorate on public occasions.
fw7.jpg

Last edited:
Back