Ricoh Firmware 1.50 Update & RAW only option

Duane Pandorf

Top Veteran
I've downloaded and updated my GXR and two Camera Units (A12 28mm & M Mount). I was excited to learn that this new update allowed the option to shoot RAW only. However, there's one major caveat with this new option. If you select it, pay no attention to setting any of the Image Settings. No matter what Image Settings you select, whether Natural, B&W, B&W (TE), all you're going to see through the LCD or VF-2 is the default color that the sensor is reading. Even after taking a photo with any of the different Image Setting options selected all you're going to see on the LCD during image preview after the image is taken is the color image embedded into the RAW DNG file. Once uploaded to your favorite image editing program, again all you have is the color image information that the sensor has captured. None of your Image Settings choices are imbedded into the DNG file.

For a long time I was very interested in a RAW only option on my Ricoh cameras. But since it works as you describe Duane I shoot RAW+JPG, with JPG set to the minimum resolution. When I download to my computer I just organize the list by "kind" and drag over all of the RAW files. I need the JPGs to see the image as intended on the camera.

Back