Fuji Firmware 4 vs. 3.x and 55-200 ...

I anxiously awaited FW 4.0 for my X-T1 and 55-200 to see if it would/could come close to my former Olympus E-M1 and 50-200 SWD lens. Pretty impressed with the results.

My standard test subject, my speedy 10-year-old, runs at me full bore down the sidewalk. Did the same test, starting at the same tree, with me standing in the same spot with the different camera and lens combos, albeit at different times, but all within the last few months.

First, the Olympus, done March 8, 2015. Firmware 3.0 for the E-M1was transformative, giving the Oly useable CAF. The best of two samples was 78% in-focus for the SWD lens version (this is an adapted lens from the legacy 4/3 system, the native 40-150 2.8 would be better). This sample had 42 frames in an 8 second burst, 33 images sharp. The original 50-200 without the faster SWD motor, gave me 45% in-focus rate.

Now, to Fuji. Three weeks ago when I did the test with the 55-200, after coming back to Fuji, I replicated this test. My best keeper rate with the X-T1, in two runs, was 18% .... only 4 of the 22 frames in a short burst were sharp. I seriously contemplated returning to Olympus as the performance was much better, but I love the Fuji IQ and lenses. I decided not to be rash and await the promised firmware ...

Fast forward to today and Firmware 4.0 .... drumroll please, 76% sharp in a 21-frame burst, 16 sharp and 5 unsharp. First attempt was 63%, 22 sharp, 9 not sharp.

Ecstatic with the positive changes in this firmware. Way to go Fuji. I am hoping to get the 50-140 someday soon, and I'm positive with that lens the percentages would be even better!

The most difficult thing with mirrorless and CAF is framing - keeping the subject in the focus area when you don't have a live image is a challenge and for this, DSLR's are far superior.

Attached is a SOOC example shot, no crop, nothing but resizing:

_DSF0789.jpg

Back