Fuji Firmware update

Firmware 2.0 for XE-2

Somehow I missed firmware 2.0 for my XE-2. Today when I went to update to firmware 2.10, the camera won't let me upgrade because I only have 1.20 on the camera. A lengthy and detailed search of Fuji's site results in the discovery that Fuji seems to deprecate old firmware versions as soon as new ones are released. Thus, there is nowhere on Fuji's site where you can find 2.0 firmware. So right now I'm in a catch 22. I can't upgrade to 2.10 because I don't have 2.0, and I can't find 2.0 anywhere.

Does anyone here have a copy of the 2.0 firmware for XE-2 that I can link to, borrow, or just plain have? Fuji's website is next to hopeless and their response to emails is painfully slow.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Marc Feldesman

Sorry Marc

I'm actually stumped, perhaps you can email Fuji directly as ask them if they can send you the firmware update file.

I have skipped a firmware update on my XP-1 and what I did was I downloaded the file into my PC and moved the files into my SD card and installed the firmware from my SD card into my camera.

I've regularly skipped point releases with no ill effect. This may be an issue because it was a version release rather than a point, but it still seems odd.

I'd suggest:

1. Try again, as outlined by Phoenix
2. Have a quick look at other Fujifilm sites worldwide to see if they have the release
3. Contact Fujifilm

...in that order.

Edit: Is this where you were? X-E2 | Firmware | FUJIFILM X Series & GFX – Global - it does say prepare your XE-2 (version 2.0 OR FORMER) (My capitals), so there should not be an issue?

I find it highly unlikely that one would need firmware 2.0 before upgrading from 1.xx to higher versions than 2.00. The probability for this being the case should by lower than 0.001%, and I'm confident it should be possible to find a user who successfully upgraded directly from 1.xx to something higher than 2.00.

Experience tells that almost all upgrade problems are due to user error, like using a wrong firmware file or a wrong file name, or copying the file to the wrong location/directory. I have never heard of a camera rejecting a newer firmware file with the correct name at the correct location.

OK this is probably user error but i have updated firmware in the past without a problem. Currently v.2.0 is installed.
Following exactly the instructions for XE2 v. 2.10 when i insert the card containing the upgrade file (FWUP004) into the camera it says no firmware update found. The file is on the card.
It appears to me that despite saying the update is 2.10 I am downloading 2.0 but following the onscreen instructions for 2.10.
Any ideas?

No ideas beyond the usual stuff like cached content or files that were renamed during download to avoid name duplicates. Basically, that's what keeps Fuji's support occupied, that's why they are thinking about moving the firmware business to a dedicated download server with an app, automating the process. It would be best if our wifi enabled cameras could update their firmware automatically when they are connected to the Internet. This would also open a path for paid firmware upgrades that offer more features and more value.

OK this is probably user error but i have updated firmware in the past without a problem. Currently v.2.0 is installed.
Following exactly the instructions for XE2 v. 2.10 when i insert the card containing the upgrade file (FWUP004) into the camera it says no firmware update found. The file is on the card.
It appears to me that despite saying the update is 2.10 I am downloading 2.0 but following the onscreen instructions for 2.10.
Any ideas?
File's name is FWUP0004.DAT not FWUP004... FWIW

Fuji isn't doing anything, as most users had no problems with the upgrade.
So it appears there is nothing wrong with the firmware file.

That would make future firmware upgrades impossible, as the file name tells the camera (or lens, or user) what equipment an upgrade is meant for. In the past, all camera upgrade files were named FPUPDATE.DAT, which was very confusing (and maybe even dangerous). So now we have a unique file name for each camera model, and the camera firmware looks for this very name. Which is nice, as I can now copy multiple upgrade files for multiple models on one card and then use this one card to update all my cameras (I have plenty).

One would think that users should not have problems with simply downloading a file from the Internet without changing its name. However, a portion of users does every time (causing support costs and reducing Fuji's motivation to provide frequent updates), that's why Fuji is thinking about switching to an update server that takes care of the entire process.

...One would think that users should not have problems with simply downloading a file from the Internet without changing its name. However, a portion of users does every time (causing support costs and reducing Fuji's motivation to provide frequent updates), that's why Fuji is thinking about switching to an update server that takes care of the entire process.

To be fair, I have seen this type of issue frequently on other brand forums. There are two or three recurrent issues. First, there seems to be a variation in how different O/S handle downloads, particularly zip files. Windows and Apple default behaviour is not the same. Second, the usual advice is to download to desktop. I know of no-one who does this as a matter of course, preferring a dedicated "downloads" folder. And here is where the third issue lies. If you already have an existing file by that name you will either be prompted to save as a different filename or the file will be saved anyway with an extension such as (2).

It is easy to blame user error - and that is often the case - but the published process is not always foolproof even when followed assiduously thanks to the nannying interventions of O/Ss which think they know what you want better than you do...

The best solution I have found is:

1) keep a small SD card for each camera you own, dedicated to firmware updates. Format it in camera before first use.

2) When there is a new update, download it to your usual folder and drag it onto the SD card. Check that the file size corresponds to what is said on the manufacturers website.

3) Perform the update. Check that it has processed correctly, THEN DELETE THE FILE FROM YOUR COMPUTER BUT KEEP IT ON YOUR SD CARD - you thus still have it if you need it.

4) When a new firmware update is made available format your SD card in camera and start again.

I have followed this discipline for years and across multiple cameras without mishap.

the published process is not always foolproof even when followed assiduously thanks to the nannying interventions of O/Ss which think they know what you want better than you do...

Hopefully, the update server solution will be foolproof. The recurring problems are a real issue. The very same threads/problems/questions keep popping up since 2011 and Fuji's first updates for the X100.

Since then, Fuji has published videos and FAQs in addition to the instructions on their website. That didn't help, as many folks don't seem to watch or read them. I have included a chapter about firmware upgrades in all of my books. That didn't help, either, as many folks don't seem to read that chapter. That's why I have also published a free blog column on Fujirumors with tips about how to update your firmware. That didn't really help, as people don't seem to read that, either, even though there's a link to my blog in my signature. There are also several firmware "How-Tos" to be found in other forums. But those didn't help, either, the issues remain and reappear with every firmware update.

So I guess Fuji is on the right track by eventually moving the entire upgrade process away from the web. Maybe a dedicated solution will cause less problems and reduce the workload on the service teams (and make users happy, too).

i would always download, drop the file into my one single card for firmwares, then update my camera/lens on the go. never really had issues. it was fairly quick, and i never had to sit there connected to the computer, waiting like i did with my other brands. i think i'll be missing fuji's current process if it changes for the worse.

Back