Micro 4/3 First day with Panasonic LX5

gsaronni

Regular
Some shots with the new camera. We are still knowing each other, but it is a camera I am going to like(although there are some annoying things)

First some direct JPG, Dynamic colour (slightly tweaked on camera)

Sokoa Lighthouse
7A809773AA1340F8BBF74A391DA1BEBF.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Higer Lighthouse
7BE2C10455624C6ABE8DFF27132AC56D.jpg

Sokoa detail
3AFF46FA5EDE4CD3941358D1EBED4FF4.jpg

Sokoa low tide
F1F2B7F97A5244C7B4C32B3D0EF463AA.jpg

Now some RAW processed with ACR 6.2:

Irun Plaza del Ensanche
374EE066F4C743EAA78A264DF86A2D0F.jpg

Sokoa boat entry
1257E47306E7425EAB644966043FF3DB.jpg

Sokoa door
231306EB2296499CA22CBA1384CDCE0B.jpg

I really like the output of this camera with dynamic colour -1 +1 -1 -2, but still have to do some tests, specially for the portraits of my daughters

I dont like the LCD in sunny conditions(and the EVF is too expensive). I dont like the quick menu selection, and bother me you cannot customise it like with Ricoh GX200. The flash EV is too hide on the menu and specialy I hate the overcrowded LCD, there are too may icons that are not necessary, and you cannot reduce it. The 2s timer is only for one shot, you cannot leave it on

But in general I am quite happy, and hope to get best shots than with GX200, specially indoors

Lucky you! I just had a first day w/the LX5 as well, and loved almost everything about it.

You're quite correct, though, about:

A. Too many video-gamey icons on the screen. I NEVER shoot video, so what's the point of having an icon that tells me about video settings?
B. There are customization modes, but I haven't gone into them at all yet.
C. The EVF being expensive outside of the US. It was just recently $128, then for about 2 weeks, about $180 and now it's back down to around $130. I understand it can be up to twice that in the EU.

Good luck and nice shots!

Congrats on the cameras youse 2....
Hit the display button and I believe on the 1st or second press, it clears the screen of everything until you 1/2 press the release...then you just get exposure data....

One thing you might want to try right off is to....
hit the upper button on the 4 way controller..... this brings up the AF patch.... use the real dial to adjust the size of the patch, hit ok...
the smallest patch gets the camera to AF very fast....
don

gsarroni, finally your LX5 has arrived! :drinks: You're off to a great start already!

You know it's funny but at first all the stuff you guys have mentioned bothered me, but I followed Don's advice and got rid of it all as he's explained above. I, too, find that tiny little focus patch to be my favorite - plus the exposure lock. Now if they would send out a little firmware update so that focus patch would stay small then I can't think of anything else I would ask for.

Yeah, making the AF area as small as possible is great for AF. But the DOF range with these small sensors is soooooooo huge (particularly shooting with the wider angles and in decent light, that for most day to day shooting with this cam, I'm just setting it to manual focus, establishing the hyperfocal setting, and then just firing away. Almost as much fun as one of the old fixed-focus P&S cameras but better because you CAN change focal length and aperture and then optimize the focus.

-Ray

Congrats on the cameras youse 2....
Hit the display button and I believe on the 1st or second press, it clears the screen of everything until you 1/2 press the release...then you just get exposure data....

One thing you might want to try right off is to....
hit the upper button on the 4 way controller..... this brings up the AF patch.... use the real dial to adjust the size of the patch, hit ok...
the smallest patch gets the camera to AF very fast....
don

Thanks for the tip, now the LCD shows only what you really need

At last.... your LX5 has arrived.... I wondered at one point if you should call in the fraud squad... ;)

So glad you liking it you've waited long enough, and your first photos are looking really good.... :)

Great pictures :) I'm sorely tempted to trade in my LX3 for the 5. I never liked the joy stick control, too fiddly. Hmm, think maybe I should fire up the battery and become reacquainted with my LX3!

Back