First Digital Camera

sirbenski

Regular
So as I was cleaning my old room, I stumbled upon this little gem that has been just sitting there quietly for a number of years. My Canon Power Shot A1000 IS camera.

My mom got this as a gift way back in 2008 and immediately handed it to me. This camera started my passion for taking photos. So glad that I found it and it still works!

Now that I have it again, it's gonna be on display. :)
Canon Powershot.jpg

Do you guys still have your first cameras?

Looking back through the archives, it seems that I bought my first digital camera in 2003. A Canon S50 with a respectable 5 megapixel sensor.

It's now languishing in my father's cupboard, having been overtaken in image quality by pretty much every mobile phone in the family.

-R

Haha! I just read a review about my old Canon Power Shot A1000 and found out that the video resolution is 640 x 480.

Back when I was using it, I was amazed by the quality!

When I bought the Kodak (it cost me $1300AUD *faint*) I actually really wanted a Sony Mavica because it stored its images on a floppy disk. LOL! Couldnt afford it and have never been able to afford a Sony anything, anyway.
I also wanted the Mavica. It seemed so simple given the current level of technology. I finally did get an an Olympus e-10 which felt like a "real" camera. Olympus E-10 Review

Nikon Coolpix 600 from 1998 (bought 1999, I think): Nikon | Imaging Products | COOLPIX 600

1MP, fixed lens (36mm-e), fixed ISO, a battery life of maybe 50 shots (on good days) or 30 with the rechargeable battery. But also an almost inaudible shutter, fast AF (though really bare-bones), nice feel and finish, macro (14cm) and a viewfinder (a tiny see-through thingy, though) - that can be used to keep battery consumption low because you can completely switch off the display. A quirky little thing, it was. OTOH, it felt quite nice in the hand - had it been quicker, it would have made a pretty good street shooter (once it was switched on, it actually was, but you had to switch it off between shots to save power).

M.

P.S. The camera just died. I tried putting in batteries, and after a few feable attempts to switch on, it went dead, taking the batteries with it ...

Last edited:
When I bought the Kodak (it cost me $1300AUD *faint*) I actually really wanted a Sony Mavica because it stored its images on a floppy disk. LOL! Couldnt afford it and have never been able to afford a Sony anything, anyway.

I did the same thing... Lusting after a Mavica with the 3.5" disks but had to settle for a Kodak DX4330 which had just been reduced from $1200 to $600 because it was 3.1MP and the latest version had just dropped with 4MP...

IMG_1089.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I rode that little Kodak hard all over Western Australia, at work in the mines, in the desert on Army exercises and only retired it when the control knob disappeared and the battery door fell off completely... I had gotten by for a good year or so with electrical tape holding it shut!

Luckily for me I won an Olympus C80-80 in a magazine subscription prize just before the Kodak left it's mortal coil... :D

Last edited:
Back