Fuji First image of the X-T1. Thoughts?

Perhaps someone can produce an umbrella that can be attached to the flash socket on the hump? ;-)

Hahah. Could double as a flash diffuser - brilliant! ;)

Looks like it may have a few accessories such as a vertical grip. Hopefully a better flashgun will follow to compliment a very promising looking camera. A positive addition to the X system, I'm quite excited!

Agreed. I'm hoping that this signifies Fuji trying to go after a more serious enthusiast/pro market which means they'll focus on improved flash support soon. I'd love to see HSS/FP support, faster X-sync speeds, and TTL units with good power output, remote control, and the option for an external battery pack.

This might tip me back into the Fuji camp. The ergonomics appear to be more compelling for me than the Sony A7.

Great minds think alike!

One of the first things that popped into mind was that this is a great alternative to the A7 (for me), particularly because I can make use of the Fujinon lenses I already own.

While aesthetically I prefer the look of the rangefinder-styled X-mount cameras, I do think that a centrally located EVF makes a lot of sense as in my opinion it adds stability for longer lenses (which appear to be a direction Fuji is going with its lens roadmap. I also like that the EVF apparently rivals that of the E-M1 as I looked through one of those this past weekend and was amazed! The dedicated ISO dial is nice, but one thing I like about Fuji is the auto-ISO implementation so I don't know that I'd use it that much.

The one issue I see on this camera is that shutter speed still tops out at 1/4000sec. If native ISO remains at 200 that means some folks are going to be disappointed that they won't be able to shoot these new lenses like 56mm f1.2 outdoors without a ND filter (I know that's not a huge deal and ND filters can be had fairly inexpensively, I just have always found mounting and unmounting filters to be a pain if you're just out and about shooting in varying lighting conditions.)

I also would have liked to have seen a faster flash sync speed as Jay mentioned. I suppose I would have loved for the XT-1 to basically have all the same specs as the E-M1, but be a Fuji with the Fuji control layout. That said, this looks like a very nice camera for those who have gone all in on Fuji, making it their sole camera system.

top dials for iso, shutter speed, and exposure compensation, plus lens with an aperture ring. What's not to like of the little revealed? I don't mind the hump of my E-M5, so doubt I would mind this.

To be quite honest, the difference in AF between these systems is noticeable but not really a deal breaker.

Perhaps it's because I'm just an AF-S kind of guy...

Kind of depends on the deal... I've had various Fuji bodies and lenses and shot with several I didn't own. I was never bothered by the AF for how I shoot. It was fine for most of what I used it for. Where it sometimes seemed slow (street shooting), I almost always used zone focus anyway, which the Fuji's are pretty well set up for, so no problem there either.

That said, I've also owned (and continue to own) a number of m43 bodies and lenses and I think the difference is VERY significant. There are m43 lenses that slow the system down to pretty near the level of the Fuji gear (the Panasonic 20mm lens on pretty much any Oly body, for example), but everything from the GH2 and EP3 forward has been a LOT faster than any Fuji I've used, including the X100s. I haven't tried the XE2, so if that's notably faster, I can't comment on that, but anything prior to the XE2. In low light, the difference is more stark. And the way the m43 gear handles face detection, which some think of as a gimmick but then some still think of AF as a gimmick too, is something the Fuji's haven't really even tried to match yet.

So for my deal, not a difference that matters either (except for low light candid portrait type shooting, where m43 is better than anything else I've used, partly because of the amazing 75mm lens). But for some folks and some type of shooting, I'd imagine it could easily be a deal breaker.

-Ray

That said, I've also owned (and continue to own) a number of m43 bodies and lenses and I think the difference is VERY significant. There are m43 lenses that slow the system down to pretty near the level of the Fuji gear (the Panasonic 20mm lens on pretty much any Oly body, for example), but everything from the GH2 and EP3 forward has been a LOT faster than any Fuji I've used, including the X100s. I haven't tried the XE2, so if that's notably faster, I can't comment on that, but anything prior to the XE2. In low light, the difference is more stark. And the way the m43 gear handles face detection, which some think of as a gimmick but then some still think of AF as a gimmick too, is something the Fuji's haven't really even tried to match yet.

In my brief day with the X-E2 side by side with the X100s, it's basically the same. Fast AF with some odd quirks here and there. I wonder if that's attributed to the X-Trans II?

Good point on the face detect for m4/3, never really thought about how valuable it is at times with composing.

In my brief day with the X-E2 side by side with the X100s, it's basically the same. Fast AF with some odd quirks here and there. I wonder if that's attributed to the X-Trans II?

Good point on the face detect for m4/3, never really thought about how valuable it is at times with composing.

I haven't really looked much at the X-E2's specs, but it would seem to me that it indeed is probably the same as the X100S since they share the same sensor. Of course the X-E2's AF will differ to a degree since its an interchangeable lens camera and AF involves the lens in addition to the body (i.e., some lenses will focus faster than others)

For me, something like eye detect AF as implemented on the recent Olympus cameras would be a game changer as I shoot a lot of people. Its the one thing that keeps tempting me to get back into m43 with more than just my E-PL1.

More X-T1 images posted today, including a shot of the grip.

You just Can't Get Enough: New X-T1 pictures (one with vertical grip)! - Fuji Rumors

Still really liking it, but I'm slightly disappointed the grip doesn't have a cursor control. I like the GH3 with battery grip which is also missing the directional pad, but it's really awkward to change the focus cursor when using it in portrait orientation. I usually end up getting by with center focus + recompose or face detection.

Otherwise though it's looking more and more like this will by my next X-cam!

EDIT: Oh - and please, please, please let it take the same batteries as my X-E1 so I don't have to buy a slew of extras all over again at some point! :D

Face detection is the way to go for off-center composition for people photos. Makes my life so much easier. Helps when handing the camera to a noob too.

Back