Micro 4/3 First Images of New Panasonic GX7

Tilting at tilty EVFs

tilting EVF rule..... especially if you have a large proboscis ;)

But Luke: just look at the hunched over posture just as I said!

I don't think people are fooled by this head down pose, heck it's likely to draw more attention as it isn't normal behaviour. IMHO having your head head down is more about the photographer wanting to avoid the risk of eye contact with the subject ...

Reading some of the other replies I gather than my shooting style is obviously different: I don't bother about perfect composition in a candid situation - all I need on the LCD is to enough of an image to confirm that the subject is in frame and a green AF confirmation and press the shutter. You take the shot and check later. That way my head is up and I can keep monitoring the scene for the next shot.

But if people want tilty-EVFs then let'em have them.

I may even buy an GX7 as it ticks some boxes for me, though I think it is a pity it lacks WR sealing at the price (as does the E-P5).

99.9% of the time I prefer a VF (E or rather O) to a screen. Tilting EVFs, however, drive me NUTS. Why, because, at least in all the ones I have experienced thus far they spend most of their time tilting when THEY want to because they lack a lock. I lost count of the times I raised my GXR to my eye only to find the EVF doing its snorkel impersonation having caught against my clothes.

No thank you.

Sent from another Galaxy

well to me its not a question of 'fooling' people, its a question of being 'confrontational' by 'aiming' at some unknown-to-me person, or influencing the action around me when my POV is simply to record it, unadorned. to me, avoiding 'eye contact' with some anonymous person is not a negative, but furthers my personal photographic philosophy. just a different, but equally valid, POV. and it does in fact work, ive years of results showing so.

Wolfie, I understand your point. And I don't deny that one must generally hunch over to use the EVF in tilt mode. But sometimes, it's the best option. And more options are always good. One doesn't need to use them. I understand Bill's point about having a locking mechanism and hopefully the Panasonic will have one. But even if it doesn't, I'd rather have one that tilts than one that never moves.

I still want EVF sunglasses that work via wi-fi. You can hold the camera in any position and the glasses you're wearing show you what t he camera is seeing. The camera could bee waist level, over your head, or sitting next to you on a bus seat while you have a remote trigger in your hand.

Wolfie, I understand your point. And I don't deny that one must generally hunch over to use the EVF in tilt mode. But sometimes, it's the best option. And more options are always good. One doesn't need to use them. I understand Bill's point about having a locking mechanism and hopefully the Panasonic will have one. But even if it doesn't, I'd rather have one that tilts than one that never moves.

I still want EVF sunglasses that work via wi-fi. You can hold the camera in any position and the glasses you're wearing show you what t he camera is seeing. The camera could bee waist level, over your head, or sitting next to you on a bus seat while you have a remote trigger in your hand.

That would be great if it was implemented into Google Glass or a similar platform. There's already a (hidden?) feature that allows you to wink to take a photo, so there would be no need for an extra trigger in your hand. On a similar note, I really wish the Ricoh GXR platform was more widely adopted. They had some interesting concepts years ago and one was a separate lens+sensor unit that would wirelessly send the photos back to the camera. I had imagined attaching the yellow unit to an RC helicopter and getting some great images.

I love the pseudo-RF form factor, I already have an X100 and X10. The GX7 is attractive to me because I can use my existing m43 lenses. I had considered the Fuji interchangeable lens options but that would require investment in some new lenses. I appreciate the argument about sensor size but you only have to look at the images posted here to see that m43 is pretty good.

From 4/3 rumors:

"A top source had the chance to test the GX7. He said the image quality of the sensor beats any other MFT camera to date…at any ISO! The sensor isn’t multi-aspect and not organic (that sensor will arrive late 2014). It has 16 MP effective pixels. Actually Panasonic managed to increase the single pixel area and Micro-lenses have been optimized. Also the Venus engine has been improved. And as I told you yesterday the video quality is the same of the GH3. Sounds all great!"

Just rumor but I know for fact that the camera exists so hopefully the above rumor is true too!

I love the pseudo-RF form factor, I already have an X100 and X10. The GX7 is attractive to me because I can use my existing m43 lenses. I had considered the Fuji interchangeable lens options but that would require investment in some new lenses. I appreciate the argument about sensor size but you only have to look at the images posted here to see that m43 is pretty good.

I also have considered the Fuji X system, but as it is I have 4 lovely m43 lenses, so the switch would be painful. The EP5 and more so the GX7 appear to be keeping m43 in the game. Since I also shoot video, it's a no brainer for me to stay in m43.

It's officially announced in Japan and Europe. Also Panny has unleashed their Klingon warrior: Nocticron (42.5/1.2). Feel your photographic blood boil!

The Nocticron gets OIS and an aperture ring. This will be a hit for stills and video. It'll also cost big bucks with the Leica designation and all the features.

Big splash!

Back