First images with Leica 'Q'.

D

dalethorn

My first images from the Leica Q typ 116 .... the first a backyard art-garden with myself reflected in the rear center mirror. The second was taken as a 50 mm in-camera crop. The third a normal 28 mm shot, but cropped nearly 50 percent.

Leica Q, f1.7, 1/800 handheld, ISO 200.
Reinert_Shop03_s.jpg

Leica Q, f1.7, 1/160 handheld, ISO 200.
Charleston_Downtown01a_s.jpg

Leica Q, f3.2, 1/800 handheld, ISO 200.
Charleston_Downtown24_s.jpg

Really nice colors. How does it feel in the hand?
Not bad - it weighs 1.5 lbs, not as light as some were saying, but not bad. I put the neck strap on just for occasionally parking it there, but I have a fat Leica wrist strap and keep that on my wrist the rest of the time. The rear joint of my thumb goes into the groove, three fingers on the textured front, and one on the shutter. I think the weight is perfect for shooting - not too much, and just enough for extra stability.

One of my favorite subjects, taken through the exterior plate glass window of the LV store. I tried this with normal focus and also macro focus - the normal focus was the winner, although the DOF was very thin here. The 28 mm focal length wasn't wide enough to include the bag on the right, although given the focus limitation, it's just as well. I've done a lot of these with other cameras, and the 'Q' was above average here in minimizing glare and capturing the color accurately through the plate glass window.

Leica Q, f1.7, 1/200 handheld, ISO 200.
Louis_Vuitton06_s.jpg

Jeepers. Are you processing these with Lightroom? I'm liking the colours you're getting. Are you tweaking the Hue/Sat/Con of individual channels much?

Not so far - just using Paint Shop Pro - no color adjustments on this image, and it's pretty true to life. The only change to the in-camera JPEG processing (I didn't use RAW or DNG) was I changed contrast from standard to low (2 steps down). Some of the other images on this same Web page (Leica Q page 1) I did do small changes to color, to balance the red/blue layers against the green, but I've done less of that with the Q than most cameras, since the auto white balance is very good. So far I haven't done anything indoors, so no experience there. The one night shot of the bridge, the Q captured that perfectly, again on auto white balance. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Hmm, that's impressive. It's better than the results I've been getting from the Q DNG's I downloaded from a review. What's bugging me is that I would far prefer to know that I will be able to make the files look the way I want without too much trouble, which is an issue I had with the Sony RX1, Leica X Vario and X113. The Q samples I've downloaded are good but not 'holy heck', like the M9. I would say that it seems like I prefer CCD, but I like the colours and look of the Ricoh GXR and Sigma DP files, too.

Can I ask if you could please upload the DNG's for the first two images? I would like to be able to see if I can get the same kind of colours in Lightroom. I would greatly appreciate it. I usually use WeTransfer for large files. It allows you to send 2GB files for free!

I didn't actually turn DNG on in the menu, and didn't have any to upload. But, as I'm going shooting to a couple of locations near Charleston SC today (i.e. warm, green, sunny), if you have any specific suggestions I'll snap two or three of those and upload the DNGs to my website and post the links here.

I didn't actually turn DNG on in the menu, and didn't have any to upload. But, as I'm going shooting to a couple of locations near Charleston SC today (i.e. warm, green, sunny), if you have any specific suggestions I'll snap two or three of those and upload the DNGs to my website and post the links here.

Oh, thank you so much! Anything like your first two images, with leafy greens, some blue sky, and some other colours like reds/pinks would be super. Thanks again!

Edited to add: Wait, those were in-camera jpegs??? I'm even more impressed now.

These are all in-camera JPEGs, and any that are less than 5000 pixels wide (or high) are in-camera crops at the 35 or 50 mm settings.

Oh, thank you so much! Anything like your first two images, with leafy greens, some blue sky, and some other colours like reds/pinks would be super. Thanks again! Edited to add: Wait, those were in-camera jpegs??? I'm even more impressed now.

The DNG's are online now at:
Dalethorn.com
Dalethorn.com
Dalethorn.com
Dalethorn.com

These were taken on lower King St. in Charleston SC two hours ago. My JPEG setting is for low contrast, yet the matching JPEGs were very contrasty. The DNGs should fix up pretty good.

Dale, thank you so much for the DNG's. A good selection of scenes that I can work with. Thank you again!

Thank you - while I don't intend at this point to work with DNGs, I'm very curious about your findings and any other info that might change my mind, or provide clues for further study.

Back