Leica First images with the Leica X-U.

D

dalethorn

My first image with the Leica X-U (X-underwater) camera. Shot as JPEG only on dry land - a spontaneous take in a local public park deli. I think the X-U does well at ISO 800. I should have some underwater pics in a couple of weeks. BTW, this camera has no jack for a USB connection.

Leica X-U, f1.8, 1/250 handheld, ISO 800.
Mtpleasant_Lauren01_s.jpg

Today's photos (shot as JPEGs) with the Leica X-U: Stairway of parking deck in B&W. Sunset on average white balance (haven't worked out color temp yet, and there are no 'scenes'). Wetland with grayish sky.

My impression of the X-U is that it does extremely well as a regular camera, ignoring the underwater feature.

Leica X-U, f5.6, 1/20 handheld, ISO 800.
Charleston_Downtown48a_s.jpg

Leica X-U, f5.6, 1/250 handheld, ISO 200.
Charleston_Harbor27_s.jpg

Leica X-U, f6.3, 1/800 handheld, ISO 200.
Mtpleasant_Park31_s.jpg

Two new photos from the Leica X-U (X-Underwater) camera: The front door to a house in the historic district of Charleston SC, and a nighttime view of the wars memorial at Waterfront Park.

Leica X-U, f5.6, 1/60 handheld, ISO 200.
Charleston_Downtown61_s.jpg

Leica X-U, f6.3, 1.3 seconds braced, ISO 800.
Mtpleasant_Memorial01_s.jpg

I didn't necessarily intend to shoot this flower at f3.2, but the wind was blowing a lot and I needed a very high shutter speed, so there it is....

Leica X-U, f3.2, 1/2000 handheld, ISO 200.
Flower01_s.jpg

Hi Dale,

On dry land how does it compare to the other X-cameras?

My best guess, based on using other cameras like the X1, X Vario, T, Q, and Monochrom/Noctilux, is that Leica made no compromises at all in image quality with the X-U, compared to the X. This camera amazes me. There is one thing - no USB port on the X-U, but that's tolerable. Even the handling is really good, with a decent grip and overall balance.

Here was a tricky one - the sun is just a hair above the bridge, and you can see a slight red flare at the top of the image. I provided the pseudo-lens-hood with one hand, and since the camera is relatively light and easy to grip, made the shot (burst) with the other hand. I always shoot bursts when possible, and I look at each frame on the computer at 100 percent to see if there are any sharpness differences between the burst frames (16 mp JPEGs). I rarely see a difference unless the shutter speed is below 1/100 second, which to me is remarkable for a camera without optical image stabilization.

Leica X-U, f8.0, 1/1000 handheld, ISO 100.
Mtpleasant_Pier04_s.jpg

Just another Leica X-U photo - I really like the detail and look of these, as they remind me of the images from another camera I loved - the Leica X1. I had to go behind a police barrier to get this perspective, as one of the pathways in this public park system has been closed for 2 years due to city and county councils arguing over who is responsible for maintaining the connector between the parks.

Leica X-U, f5.6, 1/800 handheld, ISO 200.
Mtpleasant_Park32_s.jpg

If not used for under water photography, does the XU have any features to make people buy it and not buy other Leica cameras?

If not used for under water photography, does the XU have any features to make people buy it and not buy other Leica cameras?

I think so - the only other waterproof Leica that I know of would cost over $10000 USD, so at $2950, the X-U would give you complete weather sealing at a relatively low price.

I think so - the only other waterproof Leica that I know of would cost over $10000 USD, so at $2950, the X-U would give you complete weather sealing at a relatively low price.

An interesting idea. My wife and I went to Sri Lanka a few years ago and we got hit with the remnants of the SW Monsoon. thankfully, our cameras survived the extreme dousing but I've often wondered about buyng a Nikonos (with a lens not optimised for underwater) just as something to be able to take anywhere, irrespective of the weather.

An interesting idea. My wife and I went to Sri Lanka a few years ago and we got hit with the remnants of the SW Monsoon. thankfully, our cameras survived the extreme dousing but I've often wondered about buyng a Nikonos (with a lens not optimised for underwater) just as something to be able to take anywhere, irrespective of the weather.

If you were OK with the 35 mm fixed perspective, then the X-U could be ideal, because it's easy to handhold and use - relatively light and well-balanced.

Last edited:
Thank you Dale. This is interesting. There are cases (such as what Paul described) when such a waterproof camera is needed.

If you were OK with the 35 mm fixed perspective, then the X-E could be ideal, because it's easy to handhold and use - relatively light and well-balanced.

My wife used to have an X-E1 (nice camera) but eventually traded for an X-T1. That's the only Fuji we have these days. My main squeeze, digital-wise, is a Leica M240 with which I share lenses with my M7. I do get to use my wife's X-T1 when I need wider or longer lenses. I am considering an X100T as a relatively pocketable carry-round, though.

I'm interested in the X-U for vacation photos, mostly in and under the water. Since I would use it only in specific instances, it's hard to justify the cost right now. Once a successor comes out and the price comes down, I'll definitely pick one up. I'd love to see some images from or under water with the X-U (other than what's already posted online from Leica).

I'm interested in the X-U for vacation photos, mostly in and under the water. Since I would use it only in specific instances, it's hard to justify the cost right now. Once a successor comes out and the price comes down, I'll definitely pick one up. I'd love to see some images from or under water with the X-U (other than what's already posted online from Leica).

Some Leica cameras do drop in price when used, but if you were to buy a X-U used and it was used a lot, and hadn't been resealed after a long time, you'd need to allow extra $$$ to have it re-waterproofed. You'd probably be better off with something new and cheaper, with a warranty.