Fuji First Impressions of X-T3 (coming from X-T1)

AndyMcD

All-Pro
X-T3 is slightly beefier, both in terms of size and weight. The size difference is barely noticeable (and it is still a good size) but the weight increase is definitely noticeable. However, I would not say that this is a heavy camera.

I've mainly shot with the mechanical shutter and it is snappier than the X-T1 - it is quieter and is more of a click than the slight clunk that the X-T1 gives.

Shutter release is very nice - seems a lot smoother than the old one.

Having the additional axis on the tilt screen is really useful.

Manual focus on the 16/1.4 seems a lot nicer than the X-T1 was (though this could be because I didn't have the settings in place on the X-T1, but I don't recall having a non-linear option for MF using an AF lens).

The low light AF performance is improved - I noticed that the 16/1.4 hunted a little bit for focus until I realised I was at 12,800 ISO and that it was really dark. The EVF seems pretty good in dark conditions as well.

Having 'My Menu' is a great feature, as is the 2 axis level display in the EVF.

I keep forgetting that there is a touch screen, still trying to get used to this.

Day 2.

Setting the Display mode to Eye Sensor and LCD display seems to be a bit weird. It seems like if you take the picture using the EVF then the LCD Display will show the picture once you take your eye away from the EVF, and then the camera switched back to shooting mode as soon as you put the camera back to your eye. Whereas if you take the picture using the LCD then the review will switch to the EVF if you put the camera to your eye and persists until you half press the shutter. I think this makes sense, but is taking a little bit of getting used to.

Battery management is light years ahead of the X-T1. The X-T3 is showing red battery today and is still shooting. The X-T1 would die almost immediately when it showed the battery as red.

I think the EVF auto brightness may have caused me to underexpose some pictures today. I've put it into manual now to see if that improves it. I shoot manual with Preview Manual Exposure turned on.

I miss my Lightroom workflow a LOT - I am currently using Capture One Express and Photoshop and it is costing me lots of time to get pretty mediocre results. I hope Adobe get an update out soon...

I miss my Lightroom workflow a LOT
Yeah, I don't use LR but I have basically the same problem. My solution is to mostly use my other camera until support is added. When I do use my x-t3 I am shooting raw+jpeg and just using the jpegs and saving the RAW files for later. I like that the x-t3 is fast enough to write raw+jpeg to both card slots so I can get both formats + backup in case of card failure.

I've now switched Capture One from Express (Fujifilm) to Pro (Fujifilm) 30 day trial. This has opened up a bunch of new tools, which makes it more equivalent to LR. I've also got the 'Edit In' menu to point to Silver Efex Pro - so I am now getting much better results than I was.

Have you imported your LR catalogue into C1 yet Andy? I'm using C1 Express and it's only the thought of importing my catalogue that's making me hold onto LR.

I've now switched Capture One from Express (Fujifilm) to Pro (Fujifilm) 30 day trial. This has opened up a bunch of new tools, which makes it more equivalent to LR. I've also got the 'Edit In' menu to point to Silver Efex Pro - so I am now getting much better results than I was.

C1 Pro has a lot of tools LR doesn’t have. You could cut the Adobe cord easily.

@Piano I haven't imported my catalogue from LR at this stage. I have been pretty happy with LR, so I am currently viewing C1 as an interim thing. That said, they have just announced a perpetual license for C1 Pro (for Fujifilm).

@Bobby Tingle I am still hooked on the narcotic influence of the Photoshop CC context aware fill and the cloning tool. Once someone can get me off that I would consider dropping my subscription to Adobe.

@AndyMcD Affinity Photo has a similar tool called in painting. As well as all of the other ps tools including cloning. It even had frequency separation automated. And you can round trip files from C1 through Affinity.

Yeah, @Bobby Tingle but Affinity is by Serif, who are based in Nottingham (which is where I work). I had a job interview there once, so not sure I want to use their software. Not my worst job interview ever though - that honour went to Kodak, who told me I had no interpersonal skill, and probably no friends and should find a job where I never have to speak to anyone! :)

Just tried Affinity. It even loaded my X-T3 raw (though with some distortion on the LHS and RHS - white on one side and black on the other). Quickly knocked this one up from this morning...
DSCF0171.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Used a cable release this morning (for the picture above). Sadly, that was one of the ergonomic reasons for me upgrading from an X-T1!

Still having to get used to clicking the scroll wheel for full size reviewing of pictures - I keep clicking the focus joystick.

Tried some action oriented pictures earlier. Remembering to select AF-C instead of AF-S really helps with the keeper rate! I struggled to get this type of picture with the X-T1, even using the 16/1.4.
DSCF0339.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Can't wait to try the 35/1.4 and 56/1.2 on this camera - but got to wait until November 1 for that (taking the Single In October challenge very seriously...)

Tried out eye AF today - works very nicely.

Lightroom just got updated and it now supports X-T3 as far as I can tell (i.e. I imported an X-T3 file and it is offering me the correct film simulations etc.)

Back