Fuji First Impressions of X-T3 (coming from X-T1)

Sorry @Bobby Tingle - Loving having LR back in my life...
DSCF0375-Edit.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I am confused about why focus mode selection no longer works when I go into AF-C - could be because I have turned on Face/Eye detect (which is amazing - super quick and accurate).

Battery life definitely feels a lot better than it did with the X-T1.

@AndyMcD it’s ok to be wrong :D

Seriously though, work with what works best for you. I’ve been on C1 for many years, so it’s my go to.

Face/eye detection does disable focus mode selection if I am remembering correctly.

I always wonder, when I see "battery life on (new camera) seems way better than on (old camera) if they're comparing the literal same battery? In other words, accounting for the fact that new cam came with new battery, not worn-out old battery.

I always wonder, when I see "battery life on (new camera) seems way better than on (old camera) if they're comparing the literal same battery? In other words, accounting for the fact that new cam came with new battery, not worn-out old battery.

Easy enough to test out. Just throw the older battery in the new camera and see how long it lasts.

Wow, after spending all of October just using the 16/1.4 I have just tried the 35/1.4 and the 56/1.2 on the X-T3. The 35/1.4 particularly is like a completely different lens. It gives out a confident buzz as it locks straight onto focus. The only time I have seen it hunt is when I am trying to focus too close in.

The 56/1.2 also feels a LOT faster - I never considered it slow to focus but again it now seems to be a lot more confident.

I've mainly shot with the mechanical shutter and it is snappier than the X-T1 - it is quieter and is more of a click than the slight clunk that the X-T1 gives.

Shutter release is very nice - seems a lot smoother than the old one.
This is fantastic to hear. Having used the X-T1 for a brief moment last year I definitely didn't care for the loud shutter (when my main camera was the superb X100T). Even though I'm hopelessly in love with leaf shutters I considered the X-Pro2's shutter "pretty nice" and perhaps even "tolerable" -- wonderful if the X-T3 shares the technology.

Battery management is light years ahead of the X-T1. The X-T3 is showing red battery today and is still shooting. The X-T1 would die almost immediately when it showed the battery as red.

Weird. I'd be inclined to react the opposite way. A battery that starts to flash red is supposed to die within minutes or frames, and an indicator that keeps the battery red yet alive for hours isn't doing a good job. ;)

Used a cable release this morning (for the picture above). Sadly, that was one of the ergonomic reasons for me upgrading from an X-T1!
I completely missed the threaded shutter button. All the serious cameras have that :)

Weird. I'd be inclined to react the opposite way. A battery that starts to flash red is supposed to die within minutes or frames, and an indicator that keeps the battery red yet alive for hours isn't doing a good job. ;)
I wouldn't say that it stays red for hours or hundreds of shots, but it stays red a lot longer then my "red, then dead" X-T1 which would get about 2 shots when it went from 2 bars to 1 bar.

All of a sudden XT-2 prices have jumped to 100.00 more than XT-3. ??? . Adorama and B&H.
Edit: Amazon still has them for 1099. I'm still torn because I have actually become better at timing my shots and the ISO on the 2 is better.

Last edited:
Back