First Landscape in Eight Months

I joined Cameraderie because @Kevin was running it and began participating to get inspired by all of you. I've shared some of my old work and viewed a lot of members' work. Finally, for the first time in about 8 months, I went out a couple days ago in search of a landscape photo.

This is the Middle Fork of the Feather River, as it flows westward from Portola, CA. I was hoping for a little sunlight on the tops of the cattails growing along the banks, but this is mountainous country and the sun appears more than an hour after sunrise. This was captured at almost 9:30 in the morning and even though the sun was high enough, the cloud cover prevented any direct sunlight. Still, I'm happy with the photo, given the circumstances. It encourages me to get out again.

Enjoy and your feedback would be appreciated.

middle-fork-portola10sm.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Lovely reflections. With your obvious skills behind the camera, I'd have loved to have seen that a little bit earlier in the day with the morning sun rising. It was your comment about the sun appearing more than an hour after sunrise that got me thinking that.

...I'd have loved to have seen that a little bit earlier in the day with the morning sun rising. It was your comment about the sun appearing more than an hour after sunrise that got me thinking that.
Sunrise was at 6:50am, but it takes a while before you can actually see the sun peaking over the top of the mountains surrounding the area, even longer to get any rays down on the foliage where I was shooting. So, I might have gotten better results if I'd captured this scene an hour earlier. This was my first time in this location and it has potential, so I'll return again sometime and try to find better light.

Thanks for the critique.

Back