Fuji First Mirrorless Camera

Tim Williams

All-Pro
Name
Tim Williams
I'm thinking a X-T10 maybe a good place to start. I shoot mostly landscapes but there is soccer season for the grandkids. I don't want to mortgage the farm to find out if this is for me, but I know I'm getting older and lugging around my D700 and 80-200 2.8(for sports) it not as much fun as it was. Can someone please lend some guidance on a camera and two lens kit. I backpack light on my mountain bike and shoot with a tripod about 90% of the time with landscapes. Also I have lots of Ais glass if this will work with an adapter. Thanks much.

An X-T10 with the 18-55/55-200 pair would be a great kit to start off with and give a lot of focal range coverage. Both are excellent lenses with excellent image quality and superb image stabilization.

The standard XF lenses (the f/2.8-4 & f/3.5-4.8 set) are very nice, similar to the Nikon f/4 set. And the XC set are better than most (all?) standard kit options.

What are you using for landscapes? One issue I have with Fuji is there is only one option for a wide zoom, it's very good but not cheap. That said the X-T10 + 10-24 is about half the weight of the D700 and 16-35 f/4 (probably the closest Nikon option). So other than the D700 being sealed and the X-T10 not being seal, it's probably a good option.

For sport? Sorry the D700 AF system and 80-200 f/2.8 will be better for pure sports. But grand kids playing soccer? How serious are you about it? The Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 is a fine lens and while not as fast as the 80-200 f/2.8 does offer a great deal more reach.

You could run two systems. The D700 + 80-200 for soccer and the Fuji X-T10 for everything else?

Yep, I'll keep the D700 around for sports, just not gonna backpack that rig again I use a 24 2.8 Ais and a Tamron 20-40 2.8 that is surprisingly sharp I also have a f3.5 17mm Tamron. My favorites are the 24 and the 20-40. I'm going for a rig that I will take with me in my little Case Logic backpack. Right now it has an FE, 28 2.8 Komine, 55 micro Nikor and a 200 f4 Nikor in it plus flash and small Oben tripod . All together that weighs half as much as the 700 and 80-200 flash and tripod. I'm looking into all systems but I have always liked Fuji's skin tones. Funny, I don't shoot people very much.

Should not be an issue I have a 20x30 print of a sunrise shot with a D7200 that's fine. Granted it's a crop sensor but so is the X-T10 and it's only 16mp compared to the 7200's 24mp. There are users on Nikon Café shooting the high end Ais lens on D800's that I know of. Don't know how big they print, that would be the rub.

An X-T10 with the 18-55/55-200 pair would be a great kit to start off with and give a lot of focal range coverage. Both are excellent lenses with excellent image quality and superb image stabilization.

And you wouldn't break the bank.

A X-T10, or X-T1 paired with the 18-135 may be a perfect combination for what you are looking for in a mirrorless kit. The T1 would add weather sealing, to go with the weather sealed 18-135. As well as being the better camera in all areas.

Should not be an issue I have a 20x30 print of a sunrise shot with a D7200 that's fine. Granted it's a crop sensor but so is the X-T10 and it's only 16mp compared to the 7200's 24mp. There are users on Nikon Café shooting the high end Ais lens on D800's that I know of. Don't know how big they print, that would be the rub.
My point is just a question of how critical some may be. But since you also have the D7200 with a higher pixel density already, it shouldn't be a problem.

I second the 18-135 suggestion if you're considering just ONE lense. I hear nothing about low light situations in your usage cases, so the mediocre max aperture of the 18-135 shouldn't hurt you. When you plug in the terms "cheap," "light," "sharp," and "landscape" into my brain, it immediately coughs up the Rokinon manual focus lenses. If you remove "cheap," then the 16 f1.4 or the 14 f2.8 will work very, very well.

Looks like I will be getting a used X-T1 to get started with in Like new condition at what I think is a very fair price. There's a 16-50 with it so I will be looking for lens soon although this lens got a pretty good review on Imaging Resource, so it should be a good walk around.

No. Haven't pulled the trigger yet. I need to step back from the checkbook and shoot a little first lol ( this was not my only purchase, Nikon GAS hit at the same time). I've looked at the Fuji 14 also. Stopped down it's killer and I'll be shooting at F8-11 most of the time on landscapes. This may be another option that's a little wider. It won't be long though. This stuff is my Kryptonite. I'm actively shopping the 16 now.

Edit: And I just found out about the 10-24. There's no hope for me guys, Save yourselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
XT-10 is a great starting point. I'm more of a moderate to short tele shooter - if I had to only have one lens tied to a Fuji, it would be the 56/1.2R which does such a wonderful job.

I had the 14 for a while, and for some reason we never got along. The rokinon 12, I LOVE. The 18-55 at 18, I love. But for some reason the 14 and I just never clicked.

I have heard good and bad on the 14 which makes me think there might be sample variations or it could be personal, I have some quality lens that I own, tested and they're good yet I still don't like them and never use them.. I have had issues with sample variation before but always third party. All my Nikon stuff has pretty much been spot on, some I just don't like. 70-210, sharp, fast auto focus and reasonable light. Hate it yet it doesn't do anything really bad. 80-200 2.8 does everything great and I have total confidence in it except it weighs a ton, stays on my shelf at home unless shooting sports. the new Nikon 70-300AF-P would have been great except I don't have a body that will support it fully. Anyway, I have a 16-50 coming to get started with, also an adapter. If I get a good copy it will be fine to learn my way around. I have seen some really good stuff out of this lens and while the 18-55 appears to be very good I will trade for the extra 2 mm in wide. I would love for the 14 to be THE LENS and will try one from KEH so I can send it back if we don't hit it off. Then it will be on to the 16 or the 10-24 for my wide stuff. A 56 and then a 55-200 will come along at some time. That should do it but I know better. There will always be another lens.

Back