Fuji First Mirrorless Camera

Had some issues today when I mounted the 10-24, absolutely beautiful lens by the way. I had been shooting my 28mm Komine earlier so I turned off "shoot without lens", then put on the 10-24. First thing was the EV preview did not work, then playback mode would not function after I took a shot, just a black screen, also the camera would not let me into the playback mode to check the settings, so after doing a reset on the custom and setup menus things seem to be working. I have Firmware 5.01 in the camera and 1.00 in the lens. I can update the firmware in the body but I don't think it has anything to do with the problem I had. Something about an Adobe issue I believe. The lens I haven't checked for latest firmware yet. It has me a little worried I had to do a system menu reset to get things right. I went to the manual but didn't get the answer I needed thus the reset solution. I will take more time now and dig deeper.

Edit: Updated Firmware in body to 5.20 and lens to 1.11.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had no issues after the update but I also had none after the reset so I'm not sure. I did the update to be safe. I will go out Saturday and shoot different lens and different settings to see if I'm ok. It was strange that it would not let me into the playback menu or let me view any of the shots I had already taken. Don't know why the EV preview stopped working either. All seems well with the few shots I've taken since the reset and Firmware update but I have only used the 10-24. This weekend I will be using native and adapted lens. Hopefully all is good.

Yes I know, I researched the update and part of it was for an Adobe fix, in PP I assume or maybe color space, the other was for Tethered shooting. The lens update was for better tracking, that's why I don't believe the update had anything to do with the fix, I just did it to be safe. What I don't understand is all I did was change lens and turn off "shoot without lens" in the menu and everything goes to crap. The re-set seems to have fixed it, but why did it happen in the first place. This should have been a routine lens change, nothing more. I will do a lot of shooting and lens changing this weekend. We'll see how it goes.​

Well I stepped out at lunch and went from the 10-24 to the 28 Komine back to the 16-50 without a problem. What ever it was I feel the re-set took care of it. Grabbed this one with the 28 @ f4 with standard manual focus mode. The good news is I think the camera is ok.
Edit: Note to self, Try focus peaking next time and Whoa that's over saturated. Time to calibrate my laptop.
DSCF0011-Exposure%20COT-XL.jpg

What is the preferred setting for Auto focus zone in low light. Single point did not get it done this morning. The camera said it was focused but the images were soft. Later in the morning the X-T1 and 10-24 nailed focus tack sharp, just not early morn. I changed focus area to zone so maybe it will detect more contrast to lock on tomorrow morning. I'm talking before sunrise (first light) to just after sunrise. This is the setting I will use and see if I get a better focus lock.

Ok, just trying to get a handle on how theses images are going to appear. Seems I'm fiddling with them too much. This sunset had very little color so I underexposed to bring it up, then with a trip through Viveza and Define here we are. I,ve loaded some user presets for Lightroom I got from Pete Bridgewood for X Trans sensors but didn't use those here. Any CC is welcome.
Sunrise%20final-XL.jpg

Again, you wound up right where I'd have been aiming, regarding the balance of shadows and highlights and color. And you didn't leave any heavy footprints after editing -- no halos or noticable glows, light areas, etc as those sky elements transition around each other from bright to dark. In short, it looks like an especially nice version of reality.

Thank You Brent. Sharpening has been an area I'm fiddling with.

I read somewhere, a few years ago when I first switched to Fuji, that in LR maxing out the detail slider in sharpening yields the best results. That has always worked well for me, adjusting the other sliders in the sharpen section normally.

Thanks everyone. Bobby that sounds like the settings I got from the Bridgewood site. Different levels of sharpening in 4 different settings but the Detail was maxed out in all of them. I dabbled with Capture 1 and its nice but I'm going to have to work with what I have for awhile. I use Nik on all my stuff, just bummed Google has dropped it. I have some Topaz plugins but I use Nik 90% of the time.

Well the kit is complete for now. I started this to obtain a lightweight and compact kit compared to my Nikon stuff. I'm pretty happy with the way this turned out. The XT-1, 18-55, 55-200, 16 1.4 and a 55 2.8 Nikon Micro with adapter all fit in a very manageable Case logic CPL 108 backpack. This is tiny compared to the monster Ape Case backpack for the Nikon kit, not to mention the weight savings. I kept saying I needed to slow down but the sale of my D700 helped finish this off. I would have loved to pick up the XT-2 but that will have to be next year. Time to get out and shoot more and shop less. Thanks, for everyone's help.
Fuji%20Outfit%201-L.jpg

Well the kit is complete for now...
Interesting how we all have different ideas of what is manageable. To me, that's a huge kit, but then again, I've never owned or even used FF DSLR gear. I had a Pentax K-30 and a couple of WR zooms a couple of years ago, but only kept them maybe 8 months. My own kit consists of an X-T1 and a single small lens, plus an X30. I hope your gear serves you well in your endeavors.

Tony , Isn't that the truth. I'm with Bobby , my 80-200 2.8 will cover this kit in weight, then you throw in a Mid-zoom a D700 gripped along with a gripped D7000 at times, couple primes, backpack that's twice as big , larger tripod and Wow. I feel like I have a feather on my back now,

Back