First Mirrorless Medium Format Camera

Ming Thein is in love . . .

Ming Thein: Hands-on with the Hasselblad X1D - Our World - Hasselblad

It does seem like Hasselblad has a winner here.
I thought he would be - he's even already sold his beloved Q, a camera he was totally enthusiastic about and carried everywhere (I witnessed this when he was in Lucerne). I handled the camera at Photokina, and it felt very, very nice, but for me, a bit - only a bit - sluggish in terms of AF (compared to :mu43:, which is probably unfair), and we couldn't take home any images. In terms of just about everything else, this is a fantastic offer - reasonably light and compact (including the lenses), very comfortable in the hand, quick, direct handling, and of course, one of the most desirable sensors on the market. Again, not for me - it's too much of a niche product to consider. But Ming will get a complement to his Hasselblad H system that fills the gap for portability without sacrificing IQ - that's huge (;)), and not only from his point of view. Just look at the images he took with the X1D already ...

M.

Quite apart from whatever technical abilities it has it is - to my eye - the best looking camera out there. Beautiful design, beautiful materials. I've no doubt the Fuji will be every bit as good at taking pictures but compared to this it's an ugly brute.

and fuji has a mechanical shutter, right? i think this is great for hassy lens owners, or for those who've always wanted to be hassy lens owners or who demand a leaf shutter. for everyone else, fuji will be an excellent, cheaper and more versatile alternative.

What I noted was his comment about a minimalistic approach to controls, i.e., what you need and nothing more. It's above my price range, but I like seeing digital MF being a contender again between Pentax, Hasselblad and, eventually, Fuji. Who knows, maybe when I retire.

Back