First pictures with the new X-E1 (Part 1)

Pim

Regular
Name
Pim
I received my X-E1 a few days ago, and went out for a walk today with the new camera. So far I only have the 35mm lens, so all pictures taken with that lens obviously. All Jpeg, with the B&W's converted in Silver Efex. Apparently I can only add 10 pictures per post, so this is part 1, for the remaining pictures see part 2...:) For those of you who are or used to be members of the Mu43 or Serious Compacts site, you may recognize the subject matter, it is the local Historical Open Air Museum, my favorite test ground for new equipment...

Attachments

• DSCF0236-Edit.jpg
    DSCF0236-Edit.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 213
  • DSCF0235.jpg
    DSCF0235.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 200
  • DSCF0213.jpg
    DSCF0213.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 200
  • DSCF0208.jpg
    DSCF0208.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 212
  • DSCF0192.jpg
    DSCF0192.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 207
  • DSCF0191-Edit.jpg
    DSCF0191-Edit.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 205
  • DSCF0190.jpg
    DSCF0190.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 197
  • DSCF0187-2.jpg
    DSCF0187-2.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCF0183.jpg
    DSCF0183.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 198
  • DSCF0174-Edit.jpg
    DSCF0174-Edit.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 204
You are squeeeeezing some great shots out of it. You will love it and forgive any flaws. I took mine out to Greenwich in London last night and took my 5d to give it an airing, the 5d hardly got a look in!

I like these images ... how about your opinions on the camera and the output. Are you comfortable with the controls?

Gary

Thanks Gary. I have had the camera for about just under a week now, and to start with the controls: I am very happy with them. I have been an M43 user the last few years and never realy got on with the bodies. They are fine machines of course, but I missed the traditional feel that the Fuji gives me. I just love the fact that you can take the X-E1 out of the bag end even before switching on you can check almost all settings already. I use the grip as well, and the camera just feels right in my hands. Dials and buttons are positive and the resistance is just about right. I find the shutter dial to be a little stiffer than the exposure compensation dial, but that suits me just fine, as I normally shoot in aperture priority anyway. The shutter dial stays fixed on A and the exposure comp dial (when needed) can be easily moved without too much resistance (but also not too loose as to be knocked whilst in the bag). Aperture ring could be a little stiffer but no big deal for me.

I find the whole concept works beautiful, and really makes you think a little more before taking the final picture. I used to be an auto ISO user, but for these pictures I switched to "manual" ISO, starting from 200 base and adjusting if and when needed. The viewfinder is very clear and especially clean, meaning in basic mode it shows me exactly what I need (aperture, shutter speed, ISO and exp. compensation), and no other distracting icons. Another great point about the viewfinder is that I can see all corners, even being a glasses wearer, and that is a big deal for me. I found I used the viewfinder for probably 90% of the shots I took this weekend.

Only small complaint I had about the handling is that I accidentally pressed the AE lock or Q button once or twice. I am sure this is just a matter of getting used to the small thumb hook though....no big deal. If it keeps happening I may have a look at one of the thumb grips.

As for output: I shot Jpeg only. I already spend all day at work behind my desktop and prefer to not do the same with my spare time..:) I find the Jpegs (so far at least) to be very nice. I applied some sharpening to them but that is about all (with exception to the B&W ones of course). I will have to play a little with in camera settings (had them all at default now), like sharpening etc to see if I can improve the Jpegs even more to suit my taste. As I wrote earlier I only have the 35mm lens so far and I had to crop some shots quite a bit as I could not always get close enough, but the sensor allows for that easily. Once I get something like the 60mm (or maybe the zoom, not sure yet as I do like to have 1 all purpose lens for light travel) I think I will not be afraid to crop a picture to "fake" something like a 135mm equivalent...:)

All in all very happy so far, the camera just invites you to go out and take pictures. Of course the whole traditional handling is also a matter of taste, some might prefer assignable dials like on the OM-D. I believe pretty much all mirrorless camera's these days are capable of excellent results so it is great to see so much diversity in the different models. To each his own, for me that is the Fuji approach...!

Back