First "Serious" Shot with my new X100

entropic remnants

Hall of Famer
Name
John Griggs
Well, here's a first shot, out-of-camera JPG with slight sharpening and curves adjustment is all. My X100 just arrived last night and I must say I'm delighted with it.

ISO 3200, F/4, 1/51 second (yes, that's what the EXIF says, lol) It's uploaded here as an attachment so I think you can click it and see the full size file. [EDIT: no, you can't, sorry]

View attachment 2293

I work as an engineer in a steel mill and when I did my rounds I shot this -- a subject I've shot on several different camera systems. I'm impressed with this on several levels: dynamic range capture, sharpness of the JPG at high ISO, noise control, and so forth.

What you're looking at is about 4 stories tall. The roof with the glowing electrodes swings in and down and the three graphite poles about 2 feet in diameter descend and arc 50 megawatts of electricity into scrap metal to melt it as the first step of turning scrap into new, clean steel. We create a 180 ton batches at a time in this unit and turn one out about every 2 hours or so. That's slow by today's standards but we have a very, very old plant.

In this shot the steel has just been "tapped" into a large ceramic lined bucket called a ladle, and the furnace is being inspected and readied for the next batch and any remaining slag is being poured off the back.

Attachments

• _DSF0094-1.jpg
    _DSF0094-1.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 223
Here's a few more from today. These were processed in Lightroom though -- the first one was just a quick trim in GIMP. At the end is a Lightroom processed version of the first one I shot.

However, these are all still done from JPG's and not my usual RAW's. I have to say this camera has some JPG output that rocks.

9409764089_3264eb3f76_b.jpg

Fujifilm X100 Tests: Ladle "Sanding" by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9409763905_c9eaaec3aa_b.jpg

Fujifilm X100 Tests: Fire Breath by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9412530082_69ec49d7a1_b.jpg

Fujifilm X100 Tests: Tapping Begins by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9409763613_a400d299d5_b.jpg

Fujifilm X100 Tests: Fetching a Full Ladle by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9408567661_b5f14b7982_b.jpg

Fuji X100 Test: Pausing for Breath by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Welcome to the world of Fuji and congratualtions with the X100.
I really like your factory photos. They remind me of the "real world" in the Matrix.
Anyway, I do hope you will share many x100 photos here.
Peter

Seeing your shop makes me want to go out and buy some American steel. Who uses your products? Can I just buy a ton factory direct?

Gary

Absolutely, Gary! Have any special needs? Vanadium bearing or low sulphur requirements? We aim to please!

And, will you eat that here or is it to go?...

As far as use: shipbuilding, pressure vessels, bridge construction, heavy equipment construction (the vehicles themselves), etc.

My side is melting/refining/casting. Our sister facility across the street rolls our raw product into plate steel from 1/4" to 5" thick -- we do the "heavy metal" here, lol.

Pah! ...........who needs full frame eh? I love my Fuji Twins. Seeing what can turn out from these little dynamo's is inspiring.

Well, here's a first shot, out-of-camera JPG with slight sharpening and curves adjustment is all. My X100 just arrived last night and I must say I'm delighted with it.

ISO 3200, F/4, 1/51 second (yes, that's what the EXIF says, lol) It's uploaded here as an attachment so I think you can click it and see the full size file. [EDIT: no, you can't, sorry]

View attachment 2293

I work as an engineer in a steel mill and when I did my rounds I shot this -- a subject I've shot on several different camera systems. I'm impressed with this on several levels: dynamic range capture, sharpness of the JPG at high ISO, noise control, and so forth.

What you're looking at is about 4 stories tall. The roof with the glowing electrodes swings in and down and the three graphite poles about 2 feet in diameter descend and arc 50 megawatts of electricity into scrap metal to melt it as the first step of turning scrap into new, clean steel. We create a 180 ton batches at a time in this unit and turn one out about every 2 hours or so. That's slow by today's standards but we have a very, very old plant.

In this shot the steel has just been "tapped" into a large ceramic lined bucket called a ladle, and the furnace is being inspected and readied for the next batch and any remaining slag is being poured off the back.

Love those pictures. And congratulations on your X100. Makes me wonder what you chose this over X100S. I love the X100. Am a fellow user. Just curious about the thinking behind the choice of camera.

Hi, Gary! I finally took your advice -- or at least got my toe in the Fuji waters, lol.

Thanks very much!

Welcome .. X100 is a camera with style and substance :eek:. A camera with a soul and physical beauty . I re bought it third time and I am gonna keep it till Fuji releases X200 or X100SX or what ever . As Gary says .. Fuji out put is different .. Nothing better or worse but different . I love the fact that we can try so many cameras these days . Hope to see some more pics soon .
Cheers

Congrats again, John! These are great examples of the wide ranging ability the X100 has - and it's very cool to see inside the plant where you work, too. My first thoughts were of the scenes, albeit yours have absolutely no feeling of evil, of Saruman's belching mines! Of course, I was watching The Lord of The Rings last night.

Back