Fuji First shots of/with the X20

P

pniev

The X20 has arrived. Before showing the first shots, I would like to thank Amin again for being so generous. to say it a little more enthusiastic: THANK YOU! I am a very happy man.

After taking the camera out of the box, I took the two shots I promised to make yesterday evening:

Of the X20 with the X10:

View attachment 10969
X20.jpg by Peter Nievaart, on Flickr

The first photo taken with the X20 of the X10 (all settings default; P-setting):

View attachment 10970
FirstShotWithX20.jpg by Peter Nievaart, on Flickr

Two generations (taken with iphone):

View attachment 10971
The NextGeneration.jpg by Peter Nievaart, on Flickr

Although the testing has to start yet and I have to get familiar with the X20, I was mostly curious how the X20 would perform in shooting skies. This morning we had some clouds and sun, so here are the first shots. Just quick shots with default settings. All photos SOOC and jpeg so no post-processing:

The EXR function of the X10 has been replaced by the SR+ function. I have to learn more about this function but it is my understanding that it basically selects everything for you. This is the result:
View attachment 10972
X20-SR+-DR100.jpg by Peter Nievaart, on Flickr

Interestingly, the shooting data indicated that the shot was taken at DR100 with ISO100, 1/640 and F8.

Other results (again default settings and JPEG-SOOC):

DR100/ISO100/12MP:
View attachment 10973
X20-DR100-A.jpg by Peter Nievaart, on Flickr

DR200/ISO200/12MP:
View attachment 10974
X20-DR200-A.jpg by Peter Nievaart, on Flickr

DR400/ISO400/12MP:
View attachment 10975
X20-DR400-A.jpg by Peter Nievaart, on Flickr

I am curious what you think but I am surprised by the results. I should be careful without further testing but I am inclined to conclude that the X20 offers some significant improvements compared to the 12MP photos of the X10, although there remain noticeable differences with bigger sensors. I have not been able to produce similar results with the X10 unless I used the 6MP/DR400 setting but that could have been my lack of photographic skills. The DR200 setting seems to suffice. And I am amazed by the results of the SR+ mode.

Later a more extended review of the X20 compared to the X10, but Rico's statement that the X20 is the same but different hits the nail on the head.

As said, I am happy!

Can't help saying this: there's a black spot in the cloud a third of the way in from the left, near the top, of the DR400 picture. Persons on a certain other site would by now have a 50-message flame thread going about how this proves the X20 is no good and everybody should stick to their X10s, but only at 6mp!

Fine pictures -- congratulations, and I am looking forward to joining you in X20dom.

Can't help saying this: there's a black spot in the cloud a third of the way in from the left, near the top, of the DR400 picture. Persons on a certain other site would by now have a 50-message flame thread going about how this proves the X20 is no good and everybody should stick to their X10s, but only at 6mp!

Fine pictures -- congratulations, and I am looking forward to joining you in X20dom.

You do have sharp eyes! I wasn't really paying attention because I initially thought it was a bird or so. It's not.. Then I thought about a little bug or dust... Probably not. It's easy to remove so why bother but you made me curious to potential causes: Have you read anything on this. And perhaps another question to an experience shooter like yourself: are results as expected in your view of the X20 or below/above expectations? BTW: I just played a bit with manual zoom and that works pretty neat (again, without having much reference except for X10).

Nice! Does great cloud and sky rendition - which can be tough for compacts or even older generation m43 sensors. No problem for the X20. ISO 400 looks great ...

The black X20 looks gorgeous!

That black thing - just one of our drones de-cloaking for a moment. Nothing to be alarmed about. (yikes!)

You do have sharp eyes! I wasn't really paying attention because I initially thought it was a bird or so. It's not.. Then I thought about a little bug or dust... Probably not. It's easy to remove so why bother but you made me curious to potential causes: Have you read anything on this. And perhaps another question to an experience shooter like yourself: are results as expected in your view of the X20 or below/above expectations? BTW: I just played a bit with manual zoom and that works pretty neat (again, without having much reference except for X10).

It's Fuji's popular-but-undocumented DroneFinder® feature.

Nice! Does great cloud and sky rendition - which can be tough for compacts or even older generation m43 sensors. No problem for the X20. ISO 400 looks great ...

The black X20 looks gorgeous!

That black thing - just one of our drones de-cloaking for a moment. Nothing to be alarmed about. (yikes!)

Haha. Drones are a big privacy issue here. The police uses them now. What I can't stand is that I can't find out what it is. grrr. Perhaps a nanobot just in front of the lens?

there's a black spot in the cloud a third of the way in from the left, near the top, of the DR400 picture.

Looks to me like a really, really big horsefly. You caught the wings at the bottom of their cycle (or whatever it is that flies' wings do) really well--so I'm guessing your shutter speed had to be above the physical limits of the camera.

Btw pniev. Your photos come up as private and can't be viewed when I click over to flickr to see them.

thanks. I still have to get used to Flickr. Changed permission to public so they should be visible now.

Glad to see you got your new toy. Enough testing, let's see some real photography.

As for the blob - it is a UFO! I should know, look at my location!:p

Actually it kind of looks like a helicopter.

Back