Micro 4/3 First street with GX1

Iansky

All-Pro
Today was the first chance to try the GX1 for some street - very cold and not many people about!

I wanted to try the camera with the 20mm to see how it compares with the GF1 (just sold mine to a friend) - I have to say..........the IQ is definitely better to my eyes than what I got from the GF1, not a huge difference but the images look cleaner/sharper with better tonality.

The AF is blisteringly fast though and almost instant so a real advantage!

I have done my usual and converted the images using SFX and here are the results:

Rollup_SFX.jpg

Waiting_for_a_lift_SFX.jpg

Bus_timetable_SFX.jpg

Locals_SFX.jpg

Almost_a_Kodak_moment_SFX.jpg

Paint_job_SFX.jpg

All wonderfully three-dimensionally looking photos! You're really making this combination sing! I like your PP treatment as well, the tones and textures really bring the photos alive :)

Nice street series here Ian!

So AF is faster, and you think the images a little crisper - but do you find the dynamic/tonal range much improved? Also is the smaller profile a plus or a minus?...and the new EVF, is it as heavenly as many claim?

I'd commited to upgrading the GF1 with the GX1 (but keeping the GF1 as a back-up, of course) but that OMD has put a spanner in the works. I just need to hear that it rattlesnakes savagely with the PL25 and then I can remain focussed on a GX1 later in 2012 - early 2013...if I stick with digital.

Very nice as usual Ian. If you think the 20mm is fast (and yeah, its faster on the new bodies than the GF1), you should find a copy of the 14mm - it leaves the 20 in the dust. Not as good in low light as the 20, but now that you've got the X100...

-Ray

Nice street series here Ian!

So AF is faster, and you think the images a little crisper - but do you find the dynamic/tonal range much improved? Also is the smaller profile a plus or a minus?...and the new EVF, is it as heavenly as many claim?

I'd commited to upgrading the GF1 with the GX1 (but keeping the GF1 as a back-up, of course) but that OMD has put a spanner in the works. I just need to hear that it rattlesnakes savagely with the PL25 and then I can remain focussed on a GX1 later in 2012 - early 2013...if I stick with digital.

I do find that the DR is improved over the GF1 (the image of the lady reading the bus timetable with grey hair, on the GF1 I would have lost detail in the hair and for many of my GF1 images I had to shoot at minus1/3rd EV but shooting all GX1 images at standard EV! The combo of GX1+20mm do appear more 3D than those of the GF1 as well.

The new LVF2 is stunning and not as large as it appears on images, I also like the dioptre wheel underneath to stop accidental moving as well as the locking feature to stop it moving off line.

All in all I think it is a great upgrade to the GF1 and have no regrets in upgrading!

The OMD looks interesting but is more SLR style/size according to images and I wanted the small micro footprint of the GF1 (GX1 is a little smaller but the grip is superb).

Well worth giving serious consideration for your upgrade and good luck with the decision.

Lovely work, Ian. Is this now your favourite camera?

Hi Sue,

No this is not my favourite, I use all 3 for different things and still think the X100 has the edge in my choice of easy carry / tactile use / high IQ cameras as the images from it are superb.

The GX1 is a lovely camera and a worthy upgrade for the GF1 but, it does not have the tactile feel of the X100 yet, is a great small high quality camera with super fast AF and great IQ - still mixed feelings about the touch screen though.

I just consider myself incredibly lucky to have the choice of 3 formats / sensor sizes and will continue to use all 3 (have to admit that now the Leica has gone in exchange for X100 kit + GX1 kit with no regrets), the D700 is the one that I now use the least due to size and weight of kit!

I am considering letting this go if the Fuji X-Pro1 proves a viable option.

Very nice as usual Ian. If you think the 20mm is fast (and yeah, its faster on the new bodies than the GF1), you should find a copy of the 14mm - it leaves the 20 in the dust. Not as good in low light as the 20, but now that you've got the X100...

-Ray

Thanks Ray for making me ponder.......................no, I will not be tempted (repeat 20 times), I got the kit with the 14-42X & 45-175X lenses included in the part exchange I got these to see how they perform as primes but also to use them as collateral in case I want to go for the pending 12-35 f2.8 when it is released.

Ian wonderful dimension to the photos. I would think that is a combination of equipment and processing because I've not seen anything come out of camera that good. Kudos to you!

Wonderful photo set Ian. It shows your experience and control at the focal length and with faster focusing on GX1, no doubt you did wonders here.

you should find a copy of the 14mm - it leaves the 20 in the dust. -Ray

No doubt 14mm is a very good lens, insanely fast and accurate. Well for the second part, nothing touches my 20. I guess its very subjective, I saw your photos at flickr NYC one, they are all amazing! For me 20mm is one of the main reason am stuck on m4/3 for so long. Some recent takes:

6742628805_c59a8b747d_b.jpg

Dark street of Bethlehem.

6761767431_6aa85098af_b.jpg

Low and bad interior lights.

Photo set on 20mm f1.7: Lens - Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 ASPH LUMIX G - a set on Flickr

Thanks Naveed,

Have to agree with your feelings - the 20mm is a lens once owned and used is hard to even consider letting go.

It is close enough to the 14mm for me that at this stage I am not considering that lens, the pancake size of these 2 lenses does make them both easy carry high performance optics though and I am interested to see what the final 12-35 constant f2.8 will be like size / performance wise - it could prove a very viable option as long as it is not too large.

Back