Ricoh First three pics out of new GR - WOW!

Ah ha…welcome to the club mate. You'll wonder what's wrong with other sensors after using this one for a bit. The GR sensor wiped the floor with my K5, x100s and D700 - hence why it is the only digicam I have left - well until I buy my 'swiss army knife'. :blush: But the GR she is my little razor!

Ah ha…welcome to the club mate. You'll wonder what's wrong with other sensors after using this one for a bit. The GR sensor wiped the floor with my K5, x100s and D700 - hence why it is the only digicam I have left - well until I buy my 'swiss army knife'. :blush: But the GR she is my little razor!

Mark,

It really IS impressive! I have a Fuji XE-2 (XT-1 on order) and an X100S and do love them both. I've sold all my 5D MkII and lenses kit. I still own a Sony RX100 which PALES in comparison to the GR of course. I briefly owned a Sony RX1R which exceeded the GR in terms of IQ- but at 5-6 times the cost!! I have to say for an inexpensive "put it in your pocket and go" camera the GR is the hands-down winner for IQ in a tiny package. I'm going to take it on a sailing cruise in March and put it through its paces in the Caribbean.

Steve

Mark,

It really IS impressive! I have a Fuji XE-2 (XT-1 on order) and an X100S and do love them both. I've sold all my 5D MkII and lenses kit. I still own a Sony RX100 which PALES in comparison to the GR of course. I briefly owned a Sony RX1R which exceeded the GR in terms of IQ- but at 5-6 times the cost!! I have to say for an inexpensive "put it in your pocket and go" camera the GR is the hands-down winner for IQ in a tiny package. I'm going to take it on a sailing cruise in March and put it through its paces in the Caribbean.

Steve

Our camera histories sound eerily similar Steve.

All that bears repeating on my behalf is that the GR is hard to beat
….and spoils you for future choice - I know as right now I'm looking for a digital compact that can complement it :daz:

Looking forward to seeing more of your out-the-top-pocket adventures...

This is precisely the experience I'm having. NONE of my lens/sensor combinations have managed this level of sharpness. I'm shooting a D7100 with what should be among the sharpest Nikon lenses -- the 85/1.8G, 50/1.8G, etc. -- and it's just not the same. Despite the consensus among testers that the D7100 has the better sensor. ("Better" depends very much upon what you're measuring, of course.)

This really is a marvel. If they came out with a couple of different focal lengths, I'd probably dump the rest of my kit and carry three Ricohs...

This is precisely the experience I'm having. NONE of my lens/sensor combinations have managed this level of sharpness. I'm shooting a D7100 with what should be among the sharpest Nikon lenses -- the 85/1.8G, 50/1.8G, etc. -- and it's just not the same. Despite the consensus among testers that the D7100 has the better sensor. ("Better" depends very much upon what you're measuring, of course.)
I don't want to sound like a fanboy but…ah who am I kidding…I had the exact same lens combo (28, 50 and 85 all gelded 1.8s) on my Nikon D700 and to my eye the GR wins on image quality alone.

This really is a marvel. If they came out with a couple of different focal lengths, I'd probably dump the rest of my kit and carry three Ricohs...
If you start the petition I will certainly sign…under a few names. My vote is for a 50mm and a 90mm. I really, REALLY want the 50mm but!!!!

It's odd to me that Lloyd Chambers (diglloyd) -- a very rigorous reviewer -- does not consider this the best sensor. He admired the Ricoh GR hugely -- it was his "camera of the year" -- but he has said a number of times that the sensor is bettered on other cameras. I wonder whether he is simply referring to pixel density and sensor size: yes, the Nikon D800E is superior if you're creating massive prints, and the noise level at high ISOs is going to be less -- but in terms of straight image quality, it's hard to imagine things getting much better than this. Especially when it comes to the quality of the noise at higher ISOs: it genuinely look like film grain. (He does point out that the lens holds its own with Leica optics at five or six times the price.)

good luck with your new camera, boompa, I received mine about two weeks ago...really love it...

so far my only 'complaint'...I've got 4 tiny white pixels that always appear in jpegs...I'm thinking to call the dealer, see what they say about sending it back to ricoh to map them out...not sure what ricoh would consider acceptable...also waiting to see if I get dust on my sensor...so far it's clean...

when I shoot dng, I pp in LR 4.4 and that maps these white pixels out automatically...and after some initial testing I'll always shoot dng's but I would like the choice, and then, in a few years, if i sell it, I want the new owner to be happy with dng and jpeg output...no reason for dead pixels...my one fear, they'll map out the dead pixels but i'll get the camera back with dust on sensor or something else...okokok, irrational...

image quality, ergonomics, size and weight, day to day operation, it's a sweet camera...

kind regards

M

Back