Fuji First time X100 user

I wanted to mount a uv filter on the X100 trying to keep out some dust of the lens/body. Not having a 49 mm one around, but with a case ful of old Nikon AIS stuff I opted for a 49 to 52 adapter ring and 52 mm filter. Can't mount the little silver lenshood anymore - but adapter ring and filter should work as a hood as well - but hey add an old Nikon 52 mm lens cap (which actualy stays on without threatening to fall off any moment) and a modern day Nikon S rangefinder is born ;-)

15507721263_e7d7d2cb96_b.jpg
Fuji_Nikon by Lieven Loots, on Flickr

Having read blogs posts about how people have taken the glass out of 49mm filters, I was quite chuffed to find that Cokin sell one already de-glassed (called an extension ring). I've got on one order now (Cokin Extn.Ring 49mm R4949(A314): Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo).

On another topic, I imported my first batch of X100 files into Lightroom yesterday. The JPGs and some of the raw files seemed perfectly exposed, but for some of the files the raws were really dark even though the JPG was fine. In fact the instant preview in the camera looked dark for those too. The raw files could be pushed to the right exposure but is this a camera problem or something strange in Adobe's import process?

[Edit] - apparently it's Adobe failing to read the DR info for DR200 and DR400 - they seem underexposed by 1 stop and 2 stops respectively. DR100 is fine.
Since the camera is not exactly brand new you'd think Adobe would have sorted this by now. I may rattle their cage and see what happens.
See Poor Exposure ≠ SAB: Fujifilm X System / SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

[Edit] - apparently it's Adobe failing to read the DR info for DR200 and DR400 - they seem underexposed by 1 stop and 2 stops respectively. DR100 is fine.
Since the camera is not exactly brand new you'd think Adobe would have sorted this by now. I may rattle their cage and see what happens.

They are underexposed by 1 and 2 stops respectively, that's how the X100 protects the highlights.
The camera's JPEG engine then boosts the shadows and midtones, but Lightroom just leaves the file underexposed for you to do your own processing.
I actually prefer that approach, but I agree it does look strange until you figure out what's going on.

Back