First vacation trip with Fuji XP!

pniev

Student for life
Just got back from vacation so I need to catch up! This year's vacation trip was non-DSLR. Brought the Fuji XP1 with 18-35-60mm, spare battery, SD-cards in my backpack. I left light meter, flash at home. Although I brought a lightweight tripod, I did not use it much (the people I travelled with were rather impatient ;-) ).

I must admit I was more used to quickly making shots with a DSLR than I thought I was. The LCD and the EVF of the Fuji were hardly useable in harsh light circumstances and I underestimated parallax errors in close-up (wrongly assumed I could rely on the adjusted indicator in the OVF). It also took me some time to get used the checking the position of the exposure composition dial (which easily rotates accidentally). But these minor annoyances were compensated by the fun factor and the weight. I happened to switch between four exposure settings: 1. fixed aperture, auto-shutter, fixed ISO; 2. fixed aperture, fixed shutter, auto-ISO; 4. fixed aperture, ISO, and shutter speed. Although I used the 18mm more often than expected, the 35mm was definitely my favorite. I only used the 60mm to shoot a dragonfly, and some elk.

Some shots from the trip:

Mesa Verde just before thunder and rain hit us (photo taken from driving car, so I remained dry). The grey clouds combined with the light on the trees was spectacular).
p1679715121-5.png

Arches:
p1859915507-5.jpg

Yellowstone Lake:
p1647141507-5.jpg

Trainride Durango-Silverton:
View attachment 73144
View attachment 73145
p1836159526-5.png

Wheels:
View attachment 73146

Thunderstorm (again):
p1837074251-5.jpg

Well-camouflaged insect:
p1686505168-5.jpg

Geyser and bacteria:
View attachment 73147

Mormon Temple at night in Salt Lake City:
View attachment 73148

Alamosa Sand Dunes. Took this one with the camera around my neck so I could not compose properly:
p1670681112-5.jpg

Thanks for looking.
Peter

Great shots! I'd love to see the first one in colour. The last one wouldn't look out of place in an epic movie about settlers being lost in the wilderness - love it.

Thanks for your kind words!

Based on your images, looks like you had a lot of fun on your trip.
and a lot of rain! :)

Great shots! I'd love to see the first one in colour. The last one wouldn't look out of place in an epic movie about settlers being lost in the wilderness - love it.
Unfortunately the rest of the family is missing (the camera hung (?) around my neck and secretly took the shot. I am not sure if they liked it that I took a photo. So I feel a bit guilty.
Here is the color version of the first photo.
p1731215304-5.jpg

And one more:
View attachment 73154

Back