Fuji First World Problem

I was lucky enough to be in the VIP area for the last night shuttle launch. Took a camera, big lens, monopod, and worried about it for weeks ahead of time. The instant the engines lit, A put it all down and just watched it go. To this day, I'm not the least bit sorry. What I saw far exceeded what I might have captured. Simple is looking better every day. This has all been great fodder and advice.

Last edited:
I often find it to be the case, the greater the view, the less likely needed to change lenses.

Grab a low light prime lens be it 35, 50, or 135, a telephoto zoom and wide/standard zoom, maybe even a fisheye for fun. You'll always find reasons to need something else, but this way what you won't find is the frustration of carrying too much weight to shoot.

Are you really going to make 40x60 prints and hang them where people can put their noses against them? If not, you don't need the Sony. (Although your Fujis would actually do quite well in such a test.) I gave up obsessing about super-large files when I learned that my Olympus E-M5 could create better image quality than my Pentax 6x7.

As a professional who has traveled to nearly 30 countries and around much of the U.S. on documentary assignments, I can tell you that equipment overload is a major photo-killer. One body with a mid-range zoom, another body for back-up, and a pair of primes of your choice, and you're set.

I carried my Pentax to India, Singapore, and South Korea in 1992, along with my Olympus OM kit of 24, 35, 85, and 180mm lenses. I got some great shots with the Pentax, but what a beast to lug around! I would have done much better without it. My Olympus 35mm slides made great 20x30s (one of which currently hangs in my living room). What more do you need?

As Picasso said:

“Forcing yourself to use restricted means is the sort of restraint that liberates invention. It obliges you to make a kind of progress that you can’t even imagine in advance.”

And Orson Welles concurs:

“The enemy of art is the absence of limitations.”

Actually for one shot, yes. I've been given space to bring back a good shot of Hemingway's home and it could go that large. Otherwise, no. I am leaning toward the Fuji right now, the Sonys have always been my work kit, and the Fujis are just more fun to shoot and DO hold up quite well as you say.

Just spent a week in Havana. About 1/3 of my keepers were with the Olympus 17/1.8 (35-e) and 1/2 with the Panny 12-35/2.8 (24-70-e). The rest mostly with the 35-100/2.8 and a few with the 45-/1.8. I could have just taken the 12/2, 17/1.8 and 45/1.8 and been successful. Or the 12-35.

I took the E-M1.2 with the E-M1 as backup.

And there is a camera store in Havana near Parc Central that sells at least Canon and Nikon. Of at least offers them for sale; the prices are quite high.

Back