Fuji First X100 pics.

The AF is reasonably fast, maybe a tad slower than the EPL 2, which my better half uses. I consider it too slow for action or faster moving subjects like kids or pets. The VF is brilliant. For close distances, medium distances and lens fully open or low light, I use the EVF. For anything else the excellent OVF. To compensate for parallax error of the latter one, I focus slightly higher and to the left when shooting at medium distances and lens set at medium apertures. I'd say the lens is very sharp at f2.8 and slower and quite sharp at f2.0.

Oh Jeez, this is not helping me AT ALL! I have resolved that the X100 was not for me....W R O N G !!! :confused:

Congrats retow, hope you enjoy every 1/125 of a second with the new cam.....of course if it no longer suits then please just drop me a PM :smile1:

Meanwhile, on the other side of the focus coin, how is the manual focus? Is the barrel throw well spaced, even and smooth? Also is it easy enough to determine the manual focal point through the finder?

Congratulations on your new camera! How's the color output, is it as good as from Olympus?
Colors are pretty nice and accurate. I slightly prefer Oly colors, though, but who doesn't. Anyhow, it is easy to tweak the X100 color output to ones liking and I will shoot RAW only, once the camera is supported by Aperture.

How do you spell J-E-A-L-O-U-S?!:D

Wowee, congratulations retow, I am exceedingly jealous but very happy for you and this just makes my anticipation even greater!:clapping:

Thanks so much for bringing these in here to SC!

Question kind sir ...

Do you find the framelines following the Focused Distance?
So going from 8' to 30', do the lines adjust?

More to follow ...

Yes, in OVF mode, the framelines move to the right and down depending on the focused distance. However, the focus box or cross line in the OVF window do not move to confirm the precise focus point. Focusing, therefore is slightly off. I.e the closer the subject the greater the challenge. If nailing focus is needed, I use the EVF, otherwise the OVF with which I focus slightly up and to the left to compensate for parallax error.

@ Still:my thoughts completely
Oh Jeez, this is not helping me AT ALL! I have resolved that the X100 was not for me....W R O N G !!! :confused:QUOTE]

wow great shots. "love a good cow head shot"
camera looks promising, need to do some re-thinking..
grats Retow on the new gun...
Pete

Yep, I'm getting a bit excited myself now. Mine is supposed to be here tomorrow if the tracking info is right. Should have a chance to learn its quirks before we take off at the end of the week. I'm still having trouble seeing myself using it over the Nex on the street, but I've been having a lot of fun using the gf1 with the 17 as though it was the X-100, so I could see those two camera's handling an awful lot of my shooting. And, yeah, the image quality in these shots and others I'm starting to see is pretty sterling - up there with the Nex for sure - probably even a little crisper. Not sure if that's down to the lens or the very weak AA filter in the Fuji - perhaps the Nex will be there with the Zeiss lens if its just about the lens. But I don't even know why I'm talking about this - some of my recent shots with the GF1 and the Olympus 17 have all the IQ I'll ever want or need so the rest is not even icing on the cake - its maybe just the waft of aroma from the icing on the cake... Although in low light it matters even to me.

Thanks for sharing these - I was feeling guilty for not being excited about getting this camera when so many are in such a lather of anticipation. Now I'm excited - just in the nick of time!

-Ray

These are only OOC jpegs. Once RAW support is available it will be interesting to learn what latitude the X100 files offer. Quirks and warts aside, I think Fuji has done an impressive job with the X100.

retow,
The AF box should stay centered.
The issue for framelines, as with a Leica M is....
If you set focus to say 8' for Hyperfocal, whatever, then the frameline will be set for that focused distance.
Your subject may be anywhere out to infinity but the camera is thinking 8'.
So Parallax becomes a 2 fold situation.

1- the frameline tries to see the focused distance of the lens.
2- the subject area may not be accurate with the frameline.

I'm really depending on AF with the OVF due to this issue.
It's the same issue as the M's.

Oh Jeez, this is not helping me AT ALL! I have resolved that the X100 was not for me....W R O N G !!! :confused:

Congrats

Just what I was thinking...

Congrats on the new gun, looks like it's going to be a sharp shooter.
Looking forward to more shots...
ChEers, Pete

@Shooter that's just too much science for me...:confused:

retow,
The AF box should stay centered.
The issue for framelines, as with a Leica M is....
If you set focus to say 8' for Hyperfocal, whatever, then the frameline will be set for that focused distance.
Your subject may be anywhere out to infinity but the camera is thinking 8'.
So Parallax becomes a 2 fold situation.

1- the frameline tries to see the focused distance of the lens.
2- the subject area may not be accurate with the frameline.

I'm really depending on AF with the OVF due to this issue.
It's the same issue as the M's.

LL has updated its X100 experience. Although I disagree with what "Gordon" in his mail to LL wrote "......the actual focus spot is up and to the left of where it seems to be." Instead, the actual focus point is in the center of the sensor/lens, which is down and to the right of where the one shown in the OVF is (which unlike the frames does not move as a function of focused distance). Don't know maybe he means the same but approaches it from a different angle.

Back