Fuji Flash for X-T1 (off camera flash with cord)

I want to try off camera flash and will buy a cheap OCF cord from eBay. Can I use any flash with this (i.e. Canon/Nikon/whatever??) or do I need to stick to Fuji? I don´t know much about flash photography but can anyone recommend a good (and cheap) starter flash, if there are such a thing as a starter flash? Main use would be portraits.

Thanks

I believe the Canon cords will work with the XT, and beyond that I'm not sure what flashes are compatible, but I suspect it's a lot of them. I too am curious about this... off-cam flash is next on my list of things to tackle. Rumors have Fuji releasing some actual serious-quality flashes sometime this year, which might be nice for TTL options beyond the basic rebranded stuff they sell now (except that low, boxy one they seem to make themselves).

If you want to use TTL exposure measurement, you'll need to stick to a Fuji or Fuji-compatible flash unit (i.e. one made by another manufacturer, but specifically designed to work with Fuji.) TTL flash units designed for other brands won't work, even if the physical locations of the contact pins match up, because there's no standardization among manufacturers about how the camera and flash unit communicate.

You CAN use other brands of cable, because the cable just carries the signals between the camera and flash. You just need to make sure that the cable's contacts line up with those on the flash unit and camera. Watch out, though -- even if the contact positions look the same, they may not be exact enough, or may require wiggling and jiggling to get them to work.

Or if you don't care about TTL exposure measurement, you can buy an inexpensive "non-dedicated" flash with strictly manual controls. Look for one that has a single signal pin in the center of the mounting "foot" -- this assures that you're getting a pure manual unit, and should work with almost any off-camera cable. Starting with a fully manual unit is actually the best way to learn how flash really works: its effect on the picture will depend only on its distance and power setting, so you can count on getting consistent results as you experiment.

If you want to use TTL exposure measurement, you'll need to stick to a Fuji or Fuji-compatible flash unit (i.e. one made by another manufacturer, but specifically designed to work with Fuji.) TTL flash units designed for other brands won't work, even if the physical locations of the contact pins match up, because there's no standardization among manufacturers about how the camera and flash unit communicate.

You CAN use other brands of cable, because the cable just carries the signals between the camera and flash. You just need to make sure that the cable's contacts line up with those on the flash unit and camera. Watch out, though -- even if the contact positions look the same, they may not be exact enough, or may require wiggling and jiggling to get them to work.

Or if you don't care about TTL exposure measurement, you can buy an inexpensive "non-dedicated" flash with strictly manual controls. Look for one that has a single signal pin in the center of the mounting "foot" -- this assures that you're getting a pure manual unit, and should work with almost any off-camera cable. Starting with a fully manual unit is actually the best way to learn how flash really works: its effect on the picture will depend only on its distance and power setting, so you can count on getting consistent results as you experiment.

Alright, thanks. I think I will try out some cheapish (?) models. I am at the level where I had to google TTL exposure. I see if I can get something manual on the second hand market. Just a quick question, Manual flash means setting the flash power manual, it will still fire automatically right?

Alright, thanks. I think I will try out some cheapish (?) models. I am at the level where I had to google TTL exposure. I see if I can get something manual on the second hand market. Just a quick question, Manual flash means setting the flash power manual, it will still fire automatically right?

For some killer flash info check out strobist blog and the lighting 101 section.

Strobist: Lighting 101 - Understanding Your Flash

I've been using an old Nikon SB-600 and a really old SB-24 with my Fuji gear, off camera wireless. The SB-24, with it's auto aperture priority mode, actually works well for what it is.

^ Interesting. What's the SB-24?

Just a hella old Nikon flash.

SLNvRpl.jpg

Have a look at the Godox V850 / Neewer TT850 (manual) flash guns.

They're brilliant value for money, built very well (as good as Canon / Nikon flash guns) and they use rechargeable lithium-ion batteries. You can also trigger them remotely (using the Godox FT16s radio trigger and FTR16s receiver - also very cheap) which is way better than using an 'off camera cord' which are a pain in the a$$...

I have three of these units now and they're brilliant!

:eek:)

I use the Nissin i40 flash with the canon off camera cord and it works perfect with shooting TTL. As a matter of fact I just had to use it tonight and it worked out just fine. There is a Canon off camera shoe cord 2 that I use and there is a newer 3, but the 2 will work great and I only paid $15 to $20 each and they were used.

Doing TTL with a shoe-mounted flash or wired cable isn't a problem. They'd just have to reverse-engineer Fuji's communication protocol, or do a deal with Fuji to document it for them.

The problem Nissin has is that they have to disable flash features that other versions of the i40 support -- such as wireless off-camera TTL and high-speed sync -- because Fuji's flash architecture doesn't offer those features, even if the flash unit can do them.

That's why the Micro Four Thirds version of the i40, for example, has wireless off-camera control and HSS, while the Fuji version doesn't. The flash could do it, but the camera can't do it. Flash in general is one area where Fuji really lags behind the pack.

Back