Fuji Flash technique?

A few more practice images with my long-suffering pets before people arrive. I caught our cat in rare form where she stayed very still for me. Our dog just sighed. He's used to it.

Scratching my head over how to get more even lighting. I guess metering on the pets wasn't the best idea, as the color on the images with our dog is what the little bed really looks like.

DSCF0786.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSCF0787.JPG

DSCF0803.JPG

DSCF0805.JPG

Yeah, metering on the black cat really threw things up in brightness. Did you try a shot doing manual flash settings? When I use flash I completely ignore what the meter says.

i did go to manual settings, and got a more balanced exposure. So much to learn still!
I am still learning. There is always something new to learn.

Kyle, thanks to your advice I set up my multi-flash system with the Yongnuos again and everything worked fine. I don't know what I was doing wrong at the wedding, and may never know. But looks like I'm good to go for now.

I used to hit something in the settings that would automatically magnify the EVF as soon as I turned the focus ring in manual focus. Drove me nuts and took a lot of digging to figure out what was causing it.

I took around 100 images Friday evening. Got a lot of nice candid shots . . . no poses. Not gonna share family pics here, but I'm still scratching my head over one particular phenomenon. Without changing the room lights or any settings, some photos varied considerably in brightness values. Camera and flash were both on full manual except for focus.

In that situation I will shoot raw files and adjust in post if necessary. It's hard to change the flash settings that fast on the fly. You could change the aperture to affect the flash exposure if you don't need things at a specific aperture. That's easy to do quickly on the fly. Especially with Fuji.

Back