Documentary Fleamarkets, Odds and Ends, Bric-a-Brac

Irene McC

Legend
There is an age-old tradition of flea markets all over the world and my hometown is no exception.
The most enduring used goods market in Cape Town is the Milnerton market, which operates on Saturday and Sunday mornings.
There you can find anything from the sublime to the ridiculous (although generally leaning towards the latter!)

I'd like to start this thread for weird and wonderful objects, interesting bits and bobs and amusing juxtapositions you may find in your strolls through markets, car boot sales and garage sales - please add your images!

WB_FUJY3098 Dice and beads in box.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Can you lend a hand?

WB_FUJY3107 Box of mannequin hands.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

What are their prices like and is there any type of warranty?
Going by my experience with flea markets in Netherlands, Belgium and Germany, there hardly ever is such a thing as guarantee. Sometimes regular shops have a booth at a flea market and they could offer some kind of warranty, but they usually sell things like new-old-stock bags, old lenses with or without defects, broken cameras etc.

So it's simple: you buy, you check and you pay, and that's it. I used to buy lenses and analog cameras at photographica fairs and other markets, and I bought the occasional dud because I didn't check carefully enough. It's all in the game.

Many photo equipment sellers there? Might like to go there when we visit London (no immediate plans but who knows).
There were 2 or 3 stalls of camera vendors. Not a lot. In years parts there would have been many more than that.

I helped a young woman pick out a her first film camera. She had picked up an Olympus OM-10, but it didn't have a battery and couldn't be tested.

There was an OM-1 for the same price that we could trip the shutter. It seemed fine. I suggested the OM-1 would be a safer bet. I told her I started my photographic journey with one many years ago.

Her father asked if I had a camera and I showed him my XT-2 with the XF18-55 and he gave me a big smile.

Back