Flickr Alternatives

me too. I'm gonna load up some twisted stuff there for sure:daz:

Prepare for Luke in a pink thong holding a kitty and a cupcake ! :D

-Eliot "...but if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world..." - Fox, Le Petit Prince

I have a photobucket account which I mostly use to link to images of things I am selling on eBay. I noticed that if I ever uploaded an image greater than 1024px it was downsized to 1024px and became noticeably soft when linked to a forum.

I have a photobucket account which I mostly use to link to images of things I am selling on eBay. I noticed that if I ever uploaded an image greater than 1024px it was downsized to 1024px and became noticeably soft when linked to a forum.

Yeah, that's why I began to use Flickr in the first place... but I'm going to give Photobucket another go.

I've heard complaints about Flickr on that score

when I resize I've noted 800 are softer before loading

What happens with Flickr is that, depending on the size of the uploaded original, it applies too much sharpening. Photobucket, OTOH, applies too little IMO when downsampling to 1024.

I'm sticking with Flickr too. Other than the slideshow not working for me, it still does everything I need from it. At least, as far as I can tell. I didn't love the way the old flickr displayed images and I don't love the way it is now but I don't hate it. Sorry to read some of my contacts are leaving Flickr though.

I'm with Gary, quite happy with Smugmug. Change is hard, but once you make the decision to pay for online storage/presentation. You can't do much better than Smugmug.

Smugmug, Zenfolio, etc are all great, but they are different than Flickr. They don't have the community aspect or the easy ability to discover great photos, artworks, whatnot.

Hmm I'm not sure I find it so easy to find great photos now , but I agree about the community.

I can host my photos anywhere, I even already own a couple of domains with some hosting space ... But there's noone to talk to!

But I have some hopes for iperniTy developing that way.

I just wish my phone could remember how to spell it ...

Back