News Flickr changes

Several of the zip files are downloaded. I’ve been picking files at random and surprisingly a lot of my favourites turned out to be taken on smaller sensors. The Nikon V1 files for instance. Especially in mono. It really does make me want to give that gear another try.

Its interesting you should say that... the photos which I regard as my best have all been taken on smaller sensors ( I think all which were "explored" are from 1/2.3"!!). There are a couple which were on my Pentax K200D, but none from the K5, really. I think I really should just give up. :)

I still like my V1 and J1... but I keep getting distracted by the Pannies.

In the UK we get 5GB for anything BUT photos. Photos are unlimited (with Prime).
I see this as further bait in typical Amazon style.
Unlimited and free while in ramp up phase, enticing if in the Amazon Ecosystem, great to share with family and possibly across Amazon devices.
Then will be segmented and costly, like Prime which now excludes Fresh Goods.
Or Prime Video which excludes the Amazon channels...

Not for me.

You're probably right. I am enjoying prime video though, especially since (for this year at least) it was half the cost of Netflix, and the catalog seems to be improving monthly.

We have Netflix and Amazon Prime as well as Now TV. I can honestly say Netflix leaves me cold. Most of what I watch on demand is on Amazon, which has a fantastic back catalogue of old movies as well as the more recent stuff.

We find that Netflix and Amazon are complementary, Now TV is not bad at all in its own ways. Still, as far as Movies are concerned iTunes, remains our #1 store.
Next on my list of to do is to work out how the recording feature of our Samsung TV works.
I think I just need to plug in a USB HDD but may be wrong.

I've gone Pro while it's cheap ….. leaving me a year to recover my files.
Still not received my Flickr Data email but I guess that demand is high.
Slightly off topic:
A couple of weeks ago my son inadvertently borrowed and formatted the wrong plug in Hard Drive to install Windows 10 so I lost about a years worth of Photo files.
Flikr holds many of the final images so I'm glad about that but I'm thankful that I found a brilliant program called Disk Drill that recovered a lot more from the Hard Drive.
There's a limited free version available but an impressive piece of software and the premium version was available at a discount.

We have Netflix and Amazon Prime as well as Now TV. I can honestly say Netflix leaves me cold. Most of what I watch on demand is on Amazon, which has a fantastic back catalogue of old movies as well as the more recent stuff.

Australia isnt quite there yet. Different catalogs for different countries, which is a PITA. I drop my Netflix subscription when theres nothing I want to see, and wait til something turns up that I do. I paid for an annual sub to Amazon Prime Video. But, over there, you get unlimited photo storage, yet here we are restricted. Not fair, but fairly typical of what happens in different locations.

I just got my email notice from Flickr tonight. One of two things that caught my attention was the notice at top: "This is an important service email we’re required to send to all Flickr members because the terms and conditions of your membership are changing." So the only reason they're notifying me of potentially deleting my data is because they are "required" to?! :confused:

The other thing that caught my attention is that the email doesn't include the 'what would be nice to know' part that @Luke posted about being able to request all of your content to be dumped so you can download it easily.

Not cool, Flickr, not cool.

While I went through the procedure to ask for all my data to be sent to me, I have yet to receive it. I'll wait another week....they may just be buried with requests. But I'll request it all again....and then start to download zip files of 50 images at a time...but that sounds like a mini-mightmare.

I may need to go searching for my physical hard drive that I theoretically have all these images on. Although I often used flickr to save the "finished" file after processing.

Live and learn (as they say).

I had about the same number as Bill,it didnt take 3 days to actually get them, it took about that long to be sent the link to the downloads. The downloads took 5 minutes, if that.
Still waiting for the link.
I've about 1600 shots over 9 gbs ... at least by going Pro (for this year ) I could see exactly what has to be done.
I'd forgotten about Amazon as a repository although I pay for Prime.

I never got an email, but poking around flickr this morning, I found that they had created 9 zip files for me on the 5th...and the ability to download them would expire on the 13th. It would have been nice to know.

I found mine on this page..... Yahoo - login

deleting my account brought a strange feeling of nostalgia and indifference. I guess because it had been years since I was active on it, I felt very little. But I do remember the good times....meeting photographers from all over the world. I hit the OK, delete button and flickr responded with

That's it then.
Your account has been deleted. Goodbye!

I downloaded about 1/2 of my albums, let the others go. I deleted over 8200 photo's using "Organizer", was painless. Left ~75. I'll probably keep the account and selectively upload images, mostly examples of lenses. The "Links" kept in the attachments here will be broken, but the images will show.

Who knows- after my daughter's class is finished, maybe I'll keep "camerageekgear.com" for a lens test blog.
Canon 13.5cm F4

Flickr seems to be getting better and better. There were some half-political aspects with Yahoo/Flickr that I boycotted them but now that I checked, it all looks much nicer. The Yahoo account requirement will be gone soon.

I actually have a good feeling about Flickr. Will make a brand new account once the requirement goes.

Back