Flickr "discrimination"...?

Lightmancer

Legend
Name
Bill Palmer
When I try to click on an image that someone has posted which is hosted on Flickr I always get the following, either here or elsewhere.

Screenshot_2016-10-01-15-46-43.png

Now, I left Flickr years ago (when Meyer presided over the disastrous "there's no such thing really as professional photographers" make-under). I do not have a Yahoo or a Flickr account anymore (just as well in the light of the recent data breach...) and I have no intention of ever going near having one again.

This appears to be a recent thing. Am I the only one hitting this problem?

I just tried it on a browser without being signed in and got the same result.

If you want nothing to do with the website, then you got your wish. :laugh1:

I guess it's like a "members-only" club. But that seems pretty messed up, if you ask me. What if I wanted to send a link to my mom of some old family photos I have there. Would she not be allowed to view them?

Tried in a browser I had never accessed Flickr in, before, and just got the usual advertising stuff, but I was able to access explore etc. This is on the ipad. I'll try something on the mac and see what happens.

[edit] Nope, no issues at all. Same as always, can access flickr shots whether I am logged in or not, and whether I am using the usual browser or not.

OK on iPhone as well
flickrshot.jpeg

Last edited:
Nope - I just got it too - and I have a Yahoo account, so I authenticated - only to discover the photo's source album is private. Yet we're able to see a thumbnail of sorts posted here.

Hmm. I've been poking and prodding a bit this morning. A bit more detail. Being on WiFi or mobile makes a difference, but not with all images. Some will show on a WiFi connection but on the same device, on the same browser, within seconds, if I flip to mobile, I get nothing. Some I get nothing on any device, on wired or WiFi or mobile.

Curiouser and curiouser...

Back