Flickr Down for maintenance Notification Page

Neiltluck

Regular
Name
Neil Luck
I'm loving the page that Flickr have put up advising that the site is down for maintenance...

flickr.jpg

Made me chuckle.

I find all their cutesy pandas-and-kittens stuff twee beyond expression to be honest.

Especially as they spend time thinking it all up when they've made such a stuff-up of the site.

I have to say, I don't really find the new site any better or worse than the previous one.

It's still a great place to store and share images among like minded people.

It is still waay better than the other sites too IMHO

I have in the past 12 months moved from Vodafone, TalkTalk, iTunes, e.On and Flickr, to Three, BT, Google, M&S and Ipernity I am firmly of the opinion that you only change - be it ISP, house, job, wife - if you are happy that you are moving to something significantly better. I have not the slightest regret in moving from Flickr to Ipernity - quite the contrary - and pictures such as the above and the thinking(!) behind it just affirms that decision. That sort of tweeness makes me feel slightly nauseated...

Oops, I appear to have opened a can of worms here...sorry all, it was never my intention to rattle anyone's cage. The picture and caption just tickled me, that's all. :sorry:

It is clear that my experience of Flickr has been somewhat plain sailing by comparison to others here.

One very good thing that flickr does now which wasn't always the case is let's you scroll through search results at the full page size without clicking back to the results page. Other than that I still don't like the visual explosion created by justified views in photostreams and groups, although this can be alleviated by the ?details=1 trick (thanks to pdh I think for bringing that one to my attention). Other than that it still functions like an image hosting site, just occasionally a little twee-er than before.

I don't think they're making fun of themselves, I think they've been taking the p*ss out of their users since 20th May ...

my mother always taught me that if I didn't have something nice to say about someone, then I shouldn't say anything at all.

I have nothing to say about flickr.

I'm just kinda stuck with it because I've made some human connections there that I value. But as I use it less, those are fading away. It's kind of sad.

I have to say, I don't really find the new site any better or worse than the previous one.

It's still a great place to store and share images among like minded people.

It is still waay better than the other sites too IMHO

Like a sheep I followed other users away from Flickr after its last change . I have opened accounts with most others for trial runs. I've yet to find one that I find better than flicker. What's with the panda thing ? Can't say I've ever seen that before . I have a shortcut to my photostream on my iMac and use the app on pad and phone. It does what i want it to do and It all works fine. Glad I didn't delete my account and stayed put.

It's absolutely fine for hosting images I post elsewhere ... and that's pretty much it.

As a place to engage regularly with other people and their images, it has died for me.

Tough crowd! The only thing I don't like about the "new" Flickr is that it can eat a LOT of bandwidth while it tries to load as many images as it can onto one page. I had a limited amount of allowed data with the wifi hotspot I was using in Italy in July and Flickr nearly wiped it out before I figured it out and stopped allowing it to load. There are workarounds for this - one noted earlier in this thread. But in most circumstances with an unlimited broadband hookup, I've got no problems with it. I'm not looking to switch.

-Ray

Oh Paul, say it isn't so!
As a place to engage regularly with other people and their images, it has died for me.

I like Flickr because it's easy. I admit to not liking the way everything is surrounded by black until you look at it in a different size... However, I actually do stay in touch with some people I've gotten to know via Flickr itself, as well as people who sometimes still frequent the various forums... I enjoy these connections as I can keep up with them, though since early spring I've been pretty remiss...but winter is coming to my part of the world and when I'm not out tracking the local wildlife and taking pix, I'll be more active on the photo internet.

Back to the panda - I think it's kind of cute and it made me chuckle.:evilsmile:

the bandwidth issue mentioned by ray killed it.
my limited broadband connection just gets eaten up if i look at my contacts recent uploads regularly, or indeed just about any of their "awesome" justified pages.
plus it's now incredibly slow and ponderous for me.

i'm reduced to using the mobile site (m.flickr.com) on my main puter to keep an eye on other people's stuff as that reduces the bandwidth, but it's highly unsatisfactory.

anyway, i'm just repeating stuff that we hashed over in another thread. But it still does leave me really p*ssed off

Thanks for more of your explanation, Paul. I can only imagine the bandwidth issues...fortunately we live in an area where we still get good Internet "reception".

Personally, I'm glad you keep your pictures on Flickr - you do don't you at least some? I enjoy seeing them there - and here. :flowers_2:

I've had a flicker account for a long time, although I've not kept it "active", with updates, or many pictures. I think there are three there. I've decided I'm going to shut down my account. This is about the only place I post anything.

Back