Flickr has gone all pretty

I tried browsing contacts latest images this morning by clicking on the big Flickr logo top left. At first i though it was really nicely done but I gave up after two images because they take so long to load. I was beginning to think the new look was quite good but now I'm not so sure. If they can speed things up a lot so the new look was usable rather than "pretty" then i would be happy.

I've decided to change my link so it points to Fluidr which I think is now a better place to view my images than Flickr.

Great idea, Will. I think I'll do the same.

Just as a matter of interest... has Fluidr taken over from FlickRiver? Is one better than the other?

You can now upload full res photos, very useful for those who download without asking ! In the UK the law is changing to help thieves with the so called "orphan photos", anyone more cynical would suspect a conspiracy coming together !! Not that it bothers me as my photos are creative commons. Flickr is a mess, I may well leave soon. Not sure why some of you complain about pussy photos.

Great idea, Will. I think I'll do the same.

Just as a matter of interest... has Fluidr taken over from FlickRiver? Is one better than the other?

I don't know, they are both still functioning so i presume not. The reason I chose Fluidr is that they have all the flickr information about the image next to it and Flickriver doesn't.

the "infinite stream" of big images from contacts also really eats bandwidth on my broadband account ...

Do you have any number on this? I'd imagine that a single streaming HD video would eat more bandwidth than a really long infinite stream, but I could be wrong. For example, I just created a 3 minute HD video for online streaming and it's 500 MB. That's a lot of screen resolution photos.

I'm simply going by looking at my usage as logged by my isp. It's gone up disproportionately since the new Flickr.
My normal daily usage is about 300mb which includes a few uploads to Flickr and browsing my contacts. It was nearly a gigabyte Tues and weds both.

I'm simply going by looking at my usage as logged by my isp. It's gone up disproportionately since the new Flickr.
My normal daily usage is about 300mb which includes a few uploads to Flickr and browsing my contacts. It was nearly a gigabyte Tues and weds both.

Wow. That's interesting. That's about the same size of the 3 minute video that I mentioned. The photos are much larger, so I guess that's the price to pay. If you shrink your browser window and refresh, the stream images become smaller.

I think that I'm in the minority here, but I like the stream, and clicking on a photo brings it up against a black background with minimal data to distract. Yes, other things are missing, EXIF, extra clicks to get stuff done, but they have moved the photos front and center, which I approve of. It's about the photos after all.

My problem with it all is not that I can't find anything or do anything - of course, it's all there, no significant changes there - but it is about the way both my own stream, and my contacts' streams, are presented : a dense wall of images which just overwhelms me and in which no one image stands out from the next.

For me the photographs were always seemed central. When I was 40 I still liked going into a club and having the bass pummel my kidneys and overwhelm my senses. Now I'd just recoil and feel sick. And that's what the new look does for me. So maybe I'm simply a dinosaur.

Such a shame, such a waste. All they had to do was introduce this but with some options for how you wanted to present & view, and no-one would have worried.

After using the new design a bit, I actually find myself more inclined to post comments because I can see a large image and add a comment from within the stream instead of the old way of clicking to an individual photo, adding a comment, and then hitting back twice to get back to the old stream.

If Flickr gave people an option of viewing a stream with just one image per row (not side by side) and a simple way to access EXIF (maybe via a rollover or a small icon?) I bet they'd address some of the issues raised here.

My problem with it all is not that I can't find anything or do anything - of course, it's all there, no significant changes there - but it is about the way both my own stream, and my contacts' streams, are presented : a dense wall of images which just overwhelms me and in which no one image stands out from the next.

For me the photographs were always seemed central. When I was 40 I still liked going into a club and having the bass pummel my kidneys and overwhelm my senses. Now I'd just recoil and feel sick. And that's what the new look does for me. So maybe I'm simply a dinosaur.

Such a shame, such a waste. All they had to do was introduce this but with some options for how you wanted to present & view, and no-one would have worried.

Options would have been nice. Maybe they still will introduce that.

Options would have been nice. Maybe they still will introduce that.

One might hope, but it seems that removing options is the way Yahoo and Google have gone.

I've subsequently worked out how to use Flickr from the iPad, which is a good thing. Uploading seems a bit fraught but I can do that from photosync and edit later, anyway. Editing has become more obvious the longer I'm using it. I don't know if I will stay with Flickr but I havent found a good alternate so... pfft. soldier on!

Flickr is so "in your face" and totally lacking subtlety that, if I were a pro or serious photog, I'd be embarrassed to let a potential client see my photos on it.

I think they have "jumped the shark". I, many of my contacts and all my images are therefore off to Ipernity. Once the deed is done I shall cash in my Pro, make all my images private and benefit from the online "backup".

Sent from another Galaxy

I think they have "jumped the shark". I, many of my contacts and all my images are therefore off to Ipernity. Once the deed is done I shall cash in my Pro, make all my images private and benefit from the online "backup".

Sent from another Galaxy

You've begun using ipernity? I'm just worried it will turn into a dud that dies in a couple of years. How are you finding it?

Any company can go tits-up without warning anyway, so Flickr is no more secure than ipernity or smugmug or whatever on that score.
I've virtually stopped looking at Flickr thanks to performance and aesthetics so its a dud for me right now.

Very good so far. They are quick to respond to queries and the user interface is good - and "familiar". There is a rapidly growing community of ex-Flickr users who want to "make it better" we have already seen a backlash against those ghastly (often flashing) "comment banners" that people use on Flickr - pretty well everyone does not want them on Ipernity.

I think it is good and has the potential to be better if they manage the growth challenges.

Sent from another Galaxy

Back