Flickr has gone all pretty

Just to add a voice out of the choir: I'd never liked the flickr interface. I've restarted using it just before the change because I don't like 500px anymore; lots of stuff I don't like and feedback given only in change of feedback, sort of "please have a look at my work" every time and that work has nothing to do with mine...
I haven't digged into it a lot, but the new interface is friendlier for me. I don't need anymore lots of clicks to actually see one shot. And the flow of what my contacts are publishing helps not to miss what's happening.
Don't know for an intensive use, for my casual one its quite good.

I am not the "who moved my cheese" type of guy .

I was subjected to "who moved my cheese" as part of a "change management strategy" at my last place of work. I was rendered almost inarticulate with rage at it (I'm choking a bit now just remembering, as it happens)

Merely by quoting that, the author sinks - no, actually, plummets - beyond a point of having even the smallest credibility ...

Just to add a voice out of the choir: I'd never liked the flickr interface. I've restarted using it just before the change because I don't like 500px anymore; lots of stuff I don't like and feedback given only in change of feedback, sort of "please have a look at my work" every time and that work has nothing to do with mine...
I haven't digged into it a lot, but the new interface is friendlier for me. I don't need anymore lots of clicks to actually see one shot. And the flow of what my contacts are publishing helps not to miss what's happening.
Don't know for an intensive use, for my casual one its quite good.

I feel similarly. I didn't love the old Flickr. Thumbnails were square and tiny, often highlighting the wrong parts of my photos. The only way that the old Flickr really worked is if you dove down to the individual photo level and then stepped through Sets or Groups. The new Flickr is much more scannable, and maybe that's where the divide lies. I'm a scanner and multitasker by nature so the new Flickr works for me. Are those that don't like the new Flickr more sequential (and perhaps contemplative) by nature?

That NY Times guy Pogue has made a name for himself by being a bit over the top at times, bringing some much needed humor to technology. He's entertainment, and part of his schtick is to provoke. He's like a Ken Rockwell for the 1%.

Perhaps, John. I don't like having so many photos clamoring for my attention; the old Flickr - and I never particularly "loved" it - allows each photo to have a little space to breathe. For me its a case of sensory overload.

Some Flickr "official" responses to feedback

Flickr have finally got round to acknowledging a few of the "issues" and I've taken the following from the "official feedback thread" here Flickr: The Help Forum: [Official topic, cont.] Feedback on recent site changes

I am hearing the following:
- you want the option to see Flickr in a "classic" view
- textual information around your photos (and sets in particular) is too hidden in the new design
- user's organizational choices are limited and not surfaced enough, particularly with the Collections, Set, Photo hierarchy
- loading the justified, infinite scroll views are cumbersome and expensive for many with slower network connections
- you want more customizability of content and layout in your photostream and home page

These are points of feedback I've passed along. I cant guarantee that I can directly address any of these concerns just now, but know that we are very steadily passing along your feedback and will update you whenever possible.

Update:
To clarify my point about Home Page customization: we are looking into ways to make sure the "noise" some of you are experiencing is less of a problem in your Home Page feed. Of course, everyone wants to see different items there -- some feel they mostly want to see comments made after theirs on other peoples' photos, some think those are particularly annoying.

We will be working on a way to find a happy medium or to introduce controls similar to what you have with Recent Activity. This wont be a quick change however, so in the mean time don't forget that you can mute activity around particular photos in the right hand corner.

Update:
I'd like to also note that we are developing content to help members navigate the new design. Though we did update the site FAQs to incorporate the new designs, there is still clearly a need for more comprehensive guides to clear up a lot of the confusion we've been hearing in the forums.

Our team is working hard to document the feedback in these forums and beyond, and we will get new materials out as soon as we can.

Update:
We're looking into ways of making the photostream pagination less confusing, for sure.

Update:
The full set description is visible when you click on the comment bubble icon on the menu of an individual set. That being said, it does seem that many people find this to be too hidden currently, and I've passed that particular feedback along.

Update:
There is a lot that can be done as far as smarter recommendation modules on the signed-in home page, and this will come with time. For now, we are looking into a way to dismiss particular contact recommendations, in case you end up with some lame people in there -- you shouldn't have to see them there for all eternity.

Update:
I forget where someone noted this earlier as well, but there are a couple issues with search that people have been having I will make sure get looked into:

- after clicking through to a photo page, once you click back you may not land where you left off (my understanding is that this is really tricky to get right with infinite scrolling)
- after clicking through to a photo page, the left/right navigation takes you through the photographers Photostream, and not the search results

Update:
I agree that there should still be a preview button. Will pass this along.

Update:
The point of this thread is to have feedback on the current design that's more than just "change it back." We do hear everyone who has commented here and in the previous thread, and even agree with many of the concerns you have brought up over the past week.

To put an end to speculation, and to hopefully give some people closure, the old site is not coming back. However, we will continue to improve upon the new pages, from their usability to their overall performance. These changes will be made according to a balance of qualitative feedback and data, both of which we are monitoring closely.

Update:
I cant tell you at this moment whether we will introduce alternative views to Justified pages where they now are. If that changes, I will be sure to update you all.

Update:
Ok everyone! Good morning (or good afternoon, or whatever greeting best fits your time zone).

I have posted a list of Staff Updates at the top of this thread, including their contents in case permalinks aren't working well. (I will try to find Schill's as well and post them there if applicable.)

Please do refer to these updates before you say that we haven't responded to your particular concern. Please also limit your comments to constructive criticism of the new design so we can make sure this is a place where people can get answers and be heard.

Also, those looking to discuss other services should find a better venue than the Help Forum. Though I have allowed that over the past week to give frustrated members a place to discuss alternative services, this forum should now be focusing on help with Flickr exclusively, for which it was intended.

Update:
A couple updates regarding your feedback about the new Search:

- We are working on getting the left/right navigation after you click through to a search result to browse other search results instead of the one photographer's photo stream.

- We are also looking for a way to drop you back off where you left off in the results after you click back from a photo page, or improve the search view in general to make this moot. This one will take a while, and in the meantime I'd suggest you open the photo page of as a separate tab if you don't want to lose your spot.

Schill Update:
christarenee: I hear you, and optimizing for older hardware can be tough. For what it's worth, I use the site on a 1.2 Ghz Fujitsu laptop from 2006 running WinXP at home, as part of my performance testing. We have some work on the performance front to do for new and older systems alike, so I expect things will improve. A rising tide lifts all boats, etc.

KittyBitty: Our various "Justified" views share code behind the scenes, but client-side performance can vary based on other elements in the page. The photostream may be heavier than Explore, for example. We've been listening to performance reports, and are looking into it.

Update
More feedback that's been acknowledged:
- Ken Burns effect over-cropping, or the wish to turn off this effect selectively
- "35MB issue" for Photostream has been noted

Update:
Another update for you all: The Set description being much too buried is an acknowledged problem that will we worked on in the future.

Specifically, it is truncated at the top of the set page, the alt text does not always show the full description, and is fully viewable for longer descriptions only when clicking through to the "Edit" or "Comment" views.

(cut'n'pasted 30th May 2013 20:30 UTC; my bold)

Well apparently they did release it to some beta testers, but then so did Adobe with LR4 and look at the mess that was ... I was involved in a few disastrous software releases "back in the day" (I was running the team that had to mop up the mess with the end users) and the pressure from sales&marketing placed on developers to ship product - NOW! - can be considerable. If the QC management can't stand the heat ...

that's not an excuse, btw, simply an observation

Very good so far. They are quick to respond to queries and the user interface is good - and "familiar". There is a rapidly growing community of ex-Flickr users who want to "make it better" we have already seen a backlash against those ghastly (often flashing) "comment banners" that people use on Flickr - pretty well everyone does not want them on Ipernity.

I think it is good and has the potential to be better if they manage the growth challenges.

Sent from another Galaxy

I've just begun uploading some of my exported Flickr stuff, just to see how it goes. Fortunately, and unlike some of you, I did not have thousands of photographs ... only just under 600, and theres only 400 of those I want to upload, and none are full res, so I can do the lot in one go, none of this bit by bit. What is going to be a royal PITA is having to edit the info on all those shots again. I think, ultimately, I'll take the easy way out and stick with Flickr. However, I'm giving it a good go right now.

Observation: its almost like they have copied an awful lot of the old flickr code, even down to the permissions for external apps (I've decided to use the ipernity uploader).

???

If you use the loader everything except the grouping into sets comes across. It's about as easy as can be.

Sent from another Galaxy

I didnt use the flickr thingy, all the needed steps just ticked me off. Tampermonkey, plugins, login here, upload there... I had already downloaded everything I had in Flickr with Bulkr (with the exception of 4 shots that flickr has made disappear... wonder why...

IN any case, I've pretty much decided NOT to further involve myself at ipernity... I just don't much like it. Flickr... meh... getting used to it.

why on Earth they didn't test this stuff before making it go live is beyond me.

I've found out a little more about the "beta test".

Apparently they grabbed a bunch of users (without asking) and gave them the new interface, then got them to give feedback in a specially created private group/groups (so only visible to members), but didn't tell them that that was what they were wanting (or give them a link to the group/groups).

The feedback was almost overwhelmingly "this is awful" let alone the anger at having been dumped into a test site without being asked.

Some disaffected group member has managed to capture the group dialogues and converted them to PDF so that anyone who is interested can see what was fed back to Flickr before they went live ...

linked here: ipernity: Flickr test feedback group 1 - by Bill Penn

Back