Fuji Flickr having some issues?

BBW

Legend
Name
BB
I've just noticed that suddenly quite a few of my photos are not showing up on Flickr..what they are showing up as is a big blank white space with the type "photo" in the upper left hand corner. When I click on a set I see them as little blue squares with ? marks inside them. I'm clearly not the only one as there seem to be tons of posts in the Help section, however I haven't gotten to the real reason yet nor what is going to happen to fix the issue.

How about any of you all? Any hard facts?

Flickr from this part of the world is ok. Considering how large Flickr is I would think at any time the servers your data resides on could be under repair, I would not worry about it.

Hi Sue. In my case this had nothing to do with uploading - these were all photos that had been residing there for a long time. It must have been some sort of server glitch. Thankfully I have the pictures elsewhere but it was a little disconcerting.

Note to self - this is yet another example of why I should finally get of my you know what and print the photos I care about.:026::clapping:

Hi Sue. In my case this had nothing to do with uploading - these were all photos that had been residing there for a long time. It must have been some sort of server glitch. Thankfully I have the pictures elsewhere but it was a little disconcerting.

Note to self - this is yet another example of why I should finally get of my you know what and print the photos I care about.:026::clapping:
It means you should have them backed up in more than one place. You have them in more places than Flickr, no? Backup hard drive, online backup service?

Printing is nice for your own use but kind of a separate question from backing up your files...

-Ray

I have an external hard drive sitting right here. That said, it could fail - God forbid. When I think about all my prints...be they full sized or all those many photo albums or boxes...there's no way that I have all the negatives anymore.

As though I have nothing else to be thinking about...I woke up in the middle of the night and thought about how I need to check out the "new" (to me) Lightroom/Blurb thing... You know I only upgraded to the latest Lightroom recently. Just been too crazed to focus on this now. Honestly, it probably won't be until sometime in the late summer that I'll come up for air.:drama::wink_old:

You might think about something like Carbonite or some other online backup. I think I pay $60 per year for it. Because it runs in the background, it took a long time, maybe a week or more, to do the first initial entire backup of my drive, and it can take a day or two to fully back up a big upload of raw files. I think when I got back from a month away last April and uploaded a months worth of shooting onto my hard drive, it might have taken a couple of days or more to get all of that fully backed up. But it always keeps me backed up without any real effort on my part beyond the initial setup to make sure it was backing up all of my data but not my applications and stuff. I have a hard-drive too that backs everything up with Time Machine and when I need to quickly restore something I've accidentally deleted, that's the quickest and easiest option. I've never had to restore anything from Carbonite, but I went in a few times in the first several months to make sure all of my work was current on there and it alway had the latest and greatest. To me, there's a lot of peace of mind in redundancy. I figure either my hard drive OR Carbonite could fail me, but if BOTH do at the same time, we're probably in the midst of some sort of apocalypse or something and there might be other things to worry about!

For me, Flickr is only a backup of absolute last resort - its basically just to share stuff with family and friends and anyone else who's interested it seems. And I love printing a book every year, but that's more to look at and give my kids rather than a real backup strategy. But I suppose years after I'm gone, they may have still hung onto those and my digital files will likely go out the door with my last computer.

-Ray

Thanks for the suggestion. You know I have seen those Carbonite ads and was sure they were bogus, but hearing it from you makes Carbonite a horse of a different color. I should look into it, you're right. It's not just photos but tax stuff on the old 'puter too.

Back