Flickr to Ipernity (SC Group set-up)

Have to say I'm quite liking Flickr's new format for viewing single photographs. Not 100% sold on the black background. It would be nice to have a choice to turn into white, with black text. But on the whole, I'm happy with it. My pro account is paid up till November anyhow.

Seems I can no longer get or use BB code from flickr if I have a photo set to private. I just want to use flickr as a "host" site without everyone being able to see all the photos all the time. LAME.

That's definitely true. You used to be able to share a private file. When I had gear for sale or some sort of demo shot, I'd make 'em private but link to them when I needed to. With the update, I tried that once and it wouldn't let me link. Then I made it public and the link worked fine. Then I actually got some favorites (!) on a photo of an electric plug I'd downloaded from some catalog just to show people what it was... So I made it private again, hoping that once the link was in place it would still work. But nope, the next time I refreshed the page here (or was it on X-Spot???), it gave me the Flickr blank box indicating a broken or non-existent link. So I copied the picture over to my Ipernity account (which I already paid for a year of, so I may as well put it to use even if I don't find much benefit to it over Flickr), set it to private, linked to it, and everything worked fine. So that's one thing that Ipernity absolutely improved on. Not over the Flickr of last week, but the new and "improved" Flickr in place today...

-Ray

YFlickr won't allow it because their business model today is all about monetising traffic. A private photo cannot be used by them to generate advertising revenue. I will not allow monetisation of my photos out of my control; that is why I left.

I've always used my free photobucket account for linking all my random stuff like images of for sale items, crops, etc rather than flickr.

I just already had an account set up and was going to use it as a permanent back-up/dumping ground for the unlimited storage. Sure would be nice if I could just find one site that would do it all. I don't relish the idea of managing 3 different websites when one used to do it all.

I just already had an account set up and was going to use it as a permanent back-up/dumping ground for the unlimited storage. Sure would be nice if I could just find one site that would do it all. I don't relish the idea of managing 3 different websites when one used to do it all.

I have had a photobucket account for years which I have only ever used for hosting images of things I was selling on eBay and random stuff for posting on forums. I started my flickr account alongside photobucket when I wanted to be able to store, manage and display "proper" images online. A couple of years I started a 500px account just to try out an alternative site to flickr but I see no real reason to attempt to maintain two parallel image hosting sites with the same images. I'm sure there is the argument of increasing your exposure and audience but I'm not attempting to run a business here. Maintaining three image hosting sites seems one too many.

Nic, I agree that 3 is too many. I guess I just need to find what works for me. Flickr is an eyesore (to me), but all that free storage is hard to resist. But then I still need a place to display the images that I think are good enough to deserve a space of their own and a place to host photos in the same way you use photobucket. I'll continue to search out other alternatives.

I generally use imgur for when i want to sell things. Never considered using photobucket for that, but that would work, too. I am (so far) happy with ipernity and have only left flickr in existence because I have so many links going into there. If i hadn't, i'd delete the account (and I am seriously considering that anyway). I have also now deleted my google plus account, and any images I had in picasa. I'm well over all of it.

Try getting on photobucket with a smartphone. What a nightmare.
They really need to fix this.

Sent from my HTC One V using SeriousCompacts mobile app

Just worked out a feature on Flickr that I really like. A few people seemed to have stumbled onto it and posted with it unintentionally, but I really dig it.

Basically, you can link from a photo to this site (or I suppose many others) and have the whole photostream or set it's included in available to scroll without having to take up a lot of room on the page. Just one frame - 800 or 1024 pixels or whatever. If you link to the photo randomly from your photostream, it'll literally scroll through the WHOLE damn thing. But if you access that photo from within a set, it'll just scroll through that set. So, it's easy to show maybe 5-10 images without taking up more than one shot worth of real estate on the forum page. Here's an example of a small set I just created from the St. Patrick's Day Parade in Philly a couple of weeks ago. It'll show up as the first photo from the set (or whichever photo I link from), but there are scroll arrows on either side of the screen and the viewer can scroll through the set to whatever level he or she wants. You can still click through to see a larger version or find out more about the photograph, but if I want to post 8-10 shots, I can do that without imposing them on everyone - just the folks who want to scroll through them can see as many as they want.

So, just to demonstrate, here's a small set from the parade. You can scroll through it or not, but the whole dozen shots or so is there if you want to - this shot is mid-set, so you can scroll left or right:

<iframe src="St Paddy's-15-Edit" width="1024" height="1024" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Note, the frame will take on the aspect ratio and orientation of the photo you link from. So you probably want to pick a photo in square mode so the long edge will be the same for landscape and portrait mode shots, as well as squares...

-Ray

That is a cool feature, Ray. Thanks. Is there a similar feature for Ipernity? I don't use Flickr and just signed up for Ipernity.

BTW: very nice set!

That is a cool feature, Ray. Thanks. Is there a similar feature for Ipernity? I don't use Flickr and just signed up for Ipernity.

BTW: very nice set!

I don't think so - I can't find it if there is. There's only one place in Ipernity to share photos and, from what I can tell, the only options are to create a link without embedding, or to embed either a BBCode or HTML, neither of which create this sort of slide show. OTOH, their symbol for sharing in the drop down menu is " < / > ", which is the same symbol Flickr uses for it's scrolling link I used above! So, who knows? Maybe it's in there somewhere and I've just missed it...

-Ray

That is interesting but what if you only want one image to show. I suppose you have to make a one image set in Flickr and link to that?

That is interesting but what if you only want one image to show. I suppose you have to make a one image set in Flickr and link to that?

There are still codes to just post individual photos, which is what I've been using right along. This is just a different option and a nice way to show multiple images without taking up a lot of space in a thread...

-Ray

which is especially why i'm not fanciing flickr after the new way it displays (in a player), not viewable on tapatalk which is what i use most for the messageboards i follow.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

I just use the normal browser on my phone but I don't know how to get those flickr slideshow links to scroll with a touchscreen. Clicking on them just takes me to the flickr page so unless I'm on an actual computer it's just the same as posting one image using the old BB code. I think that I also prefer to be able to see a group of images all on the one screen anyway.

Back