News Flickr's next move ...

For what it's worth, I like my paid 500px.com pro account. Worth it for me, even though it is, I feel, overpriced at $20 a month. Still, I have a very nice online portfolio (see my .sig) and it is worth it in the end. Certainly I prefer it over flickr or any of the others I've tried.

I don't need the Pro on 500px, so the Awesome is enough. I'm in the process of converting all my work I want from Flickr over to 500px now. It's a slow process, but good as I can weed through and separate the wheat from the chafe.

This is all a lot of big news. I have a pro account on Flickr mostly just to share photos that I take for people. With the price increase and all of the drama, it might be worth it for me to finally make a website.

I actually had an account I started years ago and never really took to it, 68 photos and all. I just deleted the entire account, which was thankfully a simple process.

I think some of the cloud providers offer the ability to share a folder, and it might do so in a gallery format, or perhaps even something linkable. I use pCloud, which is very big on security and privacy (and based out of your native Switzerland, I believe), and I know that you can at least do publicly shared files and folders. They even offer one-time payment plans for life.
Just wanted to say thanks - I've now bought into pCloud and find it enormously helpful; it's solved my needs for online storage in one fell swoop. Next is figuring out a self-hosted way of presenting the images I want to be seen. My current site isn't ideal for that, but I think I'll find something suitable.

M.

Just wanted to say thanks - I've now bought into pCloud and find it enormously helpful; it's solved my needs for online storage in one fell swoop. Next is figuring out a self-hosted way of presenting the images I want to be seen. My current site isn't ideal for that, but I think I'll find something suitable.

M.
Glad to hear it was helpful advice. I’ve been using it for a couple years now and it has been nothing but reliable, with regular updates to their apps and clients.

I’m no Flickr fanboy, but I don’t think their Pro pricing is crazy for what it is. At some point if you want to reliably exhibit your photos to the wider world, paying for something is going to be necessary. Self hosting is fine if it’s about storage or you have some separate way to drive people to your site if it’s about exposure, but I’m personally not persuaded by the UI on most such sites. If you’re an Adobe CC subscriber there’s always Portfolio which is included in the subscription and gives a half decent layout tool and practically unlimited space. Here’s mine, but I confess to not having updated it in quite a while : Paul Kaye Photography .

Back