News Flickr's next move ...

Name
Matt

My take: They want to get rid of free users - after driving away many paid users by rising their fees by 60% in one fell swoop a couple of years ago (after the acquisition by SmugMug). Now, I know it's not what you'd call a lot of money, but it was the way they did what they did that made me go back to a free account. Now it seems free accounts will be limited even further to force people to sign up for Pro. What the ...

At some point in time, I'll have to move everything off that site. Which will lead to broken links. D***

I think I'm going to look into self-hosting this time for earnest. I'd better start doing some research ...

M.

I read it and it's a lot of marketing speak and double talk. It does severely limit free storage.

Don't use them, never have, so it doesn't affect me, but a ton of people have, particularly for linking to forums and all that is going to evaporate.

Hmm, I don't really care personally because I don't post that kind of content, but... they really didn't make much of a case for why a pro membership is more appropriate for that kind of work. I don't see the link between the two, except for, as you said, bringing more limits to free accounts, reducing the value of the non-paid option. Same with the reduction on non-public photos. Just be upfront: you're reducing the features of the free version.

Personally I'll keep using Flickr as long as it provides value to me without costing me. If it stops doing that, I guess I'll look around.

At some point in time, I'll have to move everything off that site. Which will lead to broken links. D***
Exactly.
I think I'm going to look into self-hosting this time for earnest. I'd better start doing some research ...

M.
I decided that that was the only way to go back in c.2007, after examining all the other options.

I have a pretty expensive hosting plan. However, it allows me to host multiple domain names as separate entities, hosted on SSDs, unlimited storage and bandwidth, fast internet connections. With some tweaking of the included software, I can host full size JPEGs. Using public directories, I can make any kind of file available for direct download, any type or size.

And all under my control ...

All the best with it, Matt.

Watch out for entry level hosting plans! They are almost always full of 'gotchas'.

Exactly.

I decided that that was the only way to go back in c.2007, after examining all the other options.

I have a pretty expensive hosting plan. However, it allows me to host multiple domain names as separate entities, hosted on SSDs, unlimited storage and bandwidth, fast internet connections. With some tweaking of the included software, I can host full size JPEGs. Using public directories, I can make any kind of file available for direct download, any type or size.

And all under my control ...

All the best with it, Matt.

Watch out for entry level hosting plans! They are almost always full of 'gotchas'.
I've been hosting my own sites and projects and quite a few for others (including my school) for twenty years now, but after getting out of building my own servers and hosting for others, I let things slip to the point where I don't feel all that confident about setting things up any more - which is stupid, it's doable.

I've already found two interesting packages I could use (out of half a dozen or so that seemed promising). I need a little time to try things out and set them up. I've kept one hosting contract over the years which is for a dedicated server maintained by and for a (very) small group, so, plenty of resources ...

Taking your images out of Flickr, thankfully, is easy enough. I'll probably keep all public images there for the time being, though - it saves me from having to chase broken links.

But I'll set up a new photo website for myself - long overdue.

M.

I've been hosting my own sites and projects and quite a few for others (including my school) for twenty years now, but after getting out of building my own servers and hosting for others, I let things slip to the point where I don't feel all that confident about setting things up any more - which is stupid, it's doable.

I've already found two interesting packages I could use (out of half a dozen or so that seemed promising). I need a little time to try things out and set them up. I've kept one hosting contract over the years which is for a dedicated server maintained by and for a (very) small group, so, plenty of resources ...

Taking your images out of Flickr, thankfully, is easy enough. I'll probably keep all public images there for the time being, though - it saves me from having to chase broken links.

But I'll set up a new photo website for myself - long overdue.

M.
My hosting provider is Vodien. Means that all the front end tools are free and all the hardware and backend pain is their problem ... ;) :) .

For the price that I pay, I think I'm going to convert over to 500px.com

The cost is roughly the same as Flickr, but I'm really tired of Flickr waffling around in regards to their pricing and how they are treating patrons. I used to enjoy the Discussions section, but even that is not what it used to be anymore.

I've had a 500px free account for some time, but think I'll spring for an annual paid and invest my time into 500px and setup over there. I just like a place where I can direct people to images when they have questions. It will take some time to setup how I want it, for sure...but in the end, I think it will be worth it.

Wouldn't that cost at least the same if not more?
a) It's not really about the cost, it's about their attitude and behaviour.
b) Not if you already have the necessary web space. I do. I just was too lazy to set things up properly until now. This has changed (anger's always good for a boost). I have to get some technical stuff sorted (nothing major), then I'll move.

Otherwise, yes, maybe - before this, I considered moving to SmugMug (same company), but they can stick where the sun doeth not shine ...

M.

I actually had an account I started years ago and never really took to it, 68 photos and all. I just deleted the entire account, which was thankfully a simple process.

I think some of the cloud providers offer the ability to share a folder, and it might do so in a gallery format, or perhaps even something linkable. I use pCloud, which is very big on security and privacy (and based out of your native Switzerland, I believe), and I know that you can at least do publicly shared files and folders. They even offer one-time payment plans for life.

Yes, according to this page, you can share embedded links.

The Public Folder is a special folder in your pCloud's file structure, which allows you to create Direct links to files and folders. Use your pCloud as a hosting service to create static HTML websites, embed images or simply share your files the way you want. All the files you place in the Public Folder will be accessible in an index directory.

Also, one other awesome feature is they support macOS, Windows, Android, iOS, and even Linux with native clients. Few cloud providers support Linux natively. I can think of Dropbox, which is expensive for what it is, and maybe whatever Google calls their cloud these days.

Yes, according to this page, you can share embedded links.

Also, one other awesome feature is they support macOS, Windows, Android, iOS, and even Linux with native clients. Few cloud providers support Linux natively. I can think of Dropbox, which is expensive for what it is, and maybe whatever Google calls their cloud these days.
While I could use Mega (where I have a paid plan) for this kind of stuff, I actually want a real gallery, but it's a good option. Besides, Mega is actually my image backup cloud, so the path would be a very direct one ... Something to keep in mind if things don't work out.

EDIT: Just looked into pCloud - I might get space there anyway; the current offers seem really appealing, especially the 2TB plan!

M.

a) It's not really about the cost, it's about their attitude and behaviour.
b) Not if you already have the necessary web space. I do. I just was too lazy to set things up properly until now. This has changed (anger's always good for a boost). I have to get some technical stuff sorted (nothing major), then I'll move.

Otherwise, yes, maybe - before this, I considered moving to SmugMug (same company), but they can stick where the sun doeth not shine ...

M.

Ah, I am not the most tech savvy with stuff like this.

Does pcloud store data from EU members in EU datacenter(s)?
From the FAQ:
Data regions refer to the geographic location, where you store your files and data. At the moment, there are two data regions available: the European Union and the United States. You can choose a data region when you register for your pCloud account.
*Keep in mind that the option to select a data region will gradually be introduced globally over the coming months.

I have two Flickr accounts. One 'pro' and one free. The free account has been getting bombarded with these new rules and regs. It's just their latest attempt to get you to go pro. I discovered pro is no longer $60/yr. but is now $72. I'm going to start looking for another site. I don't use their perks and don't really care about them.

For the price that I pay, I think I'm going to convert over to 500px.com

The cost is roughly the same as Flickr, but I'm really tired of Flickr waffling around in regards to their pricing and how they are treating patrons. I used to enjoy the Discussions section, but even that is not what it used to be anymore.

I've had a 500px free account for some time, but think I'll spring for an annual paid and invest my time into 500px and setup over there. I just like a place where I can direct people to images when they have questions. It will take some time to setup how I want it, for sure...but in the end, I think it will be worth it.
For what it's worth, I like my paid 500px.com pro account. Worth it for me, even though it is, I feel, overpriced at $20 a month. Still, I have a very nice online portfolio (see my .sig) and it is worth it in the end. Certainly I prefer it over flickr or any of the others I've tried.

Looks like this month's payment didn't go through. I'll have to call the bank tomorrow. A wee bit ironic, eh?
Sh!t happens, Lawrence.

We have a special account each that's not connected to any other of our accounts. These accounts have limited funds in them, so we cannot be raided for too much.

I do have to keep an eye on their balances though, so we don't run out of money in them!
Our bank doesn't charge us a dishonour fee if we make a declined transaction. They know that to do so would end our relationship ... But still helps to maintain our good relationship by not abusing it.

Back