Flying Serious Compacts...

NoSeconds

All-Pro
Name
Troy
I received a DJI Spark from my wife for Christmas, after lusting over one since they first hit the market...

I had to wait for the shops to reopen before I could equip it with a suitable micro SD card and had a few hiccups trying to get all the "numerous" updates loaded before it would clear me for takeoff... (even the batteries have to have firmware updates!!!)

Here are a few shots from it's first day of flying...

DJI_0072.JPG

DJI_0059.JPG

DJI_0058.JPG

DJI_0053.JPG

DJI_0046.JPG

DJI_0043.JPG

DJI_0037.JPG

DJI_0032.JPG

DJI_0027.JPG

DJI_0022.JPG

DJI_0006.JPG

The quality and composition of these are great.

Thanks Bill, most were just run and gun but the Spark is incredibly easy to fly. If you take your hands off the controls it will hover in place, even in high winds and the gimbal makes it look like the camera is mounted on a rock solid tripod...

Hi Sue, the video is unreal - I just have to get used to the panning motion while shooting it. The drone turns on a dime and if you give it too much stick the video looks a bit blurry. The ascent/descent motion is nice and smooth though.

I’ve got a plan to take some footage of an iron ore train at a rail cutting next week, photos just don’t do justice to the epic length of those beasts...

I decided to go the DIY route, rather than the DJI route. Out of the box is easier, but I've always enjoyed tinkering. My first attempt at a quad flew, but I used bargain-basement parts, and it is rather twitchy. No GPS, auto-pilot, or any such goodies. Just parts from a Wi Motion board and a Wi Nunchuck. Primitive, but it sort of works. (I stole the idea from someone else; I'm not techy enough to sort it out myself.) I'm hoping the new one I'm building will be more stable.

Thanks fir the vids, Jurien Bay looks so clean and clear!

That’s where I copped the stingers, could help but go for a swim in that water though...

Strangely, when I first played the videos after uploading them, they were playing back in very low resolution and I had to select 720HD to get them at full res. There must be a setting I missed in the upload process to get them to display at high res but I’m pretty new to video and YouTube if you couldn’t already guess...

I had to go back in and un-restrict the videos before they’d display on the website too...

Welcome to your new addiction. I still have a Phantom 3 Standard. I'm looking to upgrade to a Mavic sometime in the future, but will still keep the Phantom for training and letting others try out droning. Can't get much for the Phantom 3's anymore since the Mavic hit the market...really not worth trying to sell.

Back